Using customers wi-fi, etiquette??!

Rupe

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rupe, have you tried using the wifi hotspot on your phone to connect your laptop. Uses battery and data but gets basics done.

Something I haven't been able to work out, if I have unlimited data allowance does this still count when I'm using phone as a hotspot? Or am I open to charges then?

In answer to the question never asked, don't plan to - I don't want to give the impression I'm going to spend all day tapping on my phone/laptop instead of working!

Would only ask if I needed to find local dealer or something for emergency bits, even then it would be absolute last resort.

Rupe, have you tried using the wifi hotspot on your phone to connect your laptop. Uses battery and data but gets basics done.

Well I don't actually have a laptop at the moment so this it's all theory. Also my data allowance on my phone is low as I don't use it much except when on Wi-Fi

Another thing, you could sit in the car and type out quotes and email to the client before you leave. Then, if you get the job, you have their password to use when your there doing the work.

Basically feed up of spending an hour in the office every night so thinking about a laptop.

I use an ipad for all that stuff, put the info straight into the app as the customer tells me, then email it straight from the app.

Dont bother with mobile data though, once the quote is ready to send it goes into the outbox and sent automatically as soon as I pull up on the drive. (or McDonalds)

I use a Samsung galaxy s3 at the moment and it's ok for emails on 3g and I guess it will get better. Was thinking of a laptop though so office work can get done at lunch time. But as said the issue has not come up yet. I doubt it would be often if I did ask, and they can only say no. (Or don't know the password).

Set your phone up as a portable hotspot and you can bluetooth your laptop to that if you really need it. Personally I'd take a shorter lunch and get home. Diary/emails and other entries can be done on the phone.

Ohps didn't read penfolds post..

Edited by benedmonds

Any vital emails I do quickly on the Blackberry, everything else waits until I get home. What can't wait? IMO this is all part of the rush rush rush world we live in, can't wait till we get home to do some downloading? Stress city central.

As far as etiquette, if I was paying you to work on my trees, trim my hedges, I'd be a bit annoyed to see you sitting around on the Internet, I'd find that rude, probably wouldn't want you back. But this is the modern world, perhaps it is something that has to be considered now?