Isuzu 3.5t towing....

aaw

TCD what would you be using if there were no jap car industry importing into this country?

A flippin' wheelbarrow!

Ford ranger or vw amarok for starters. Didn't think LR were british anymore anyway... Indian / Tata is it not?

Anything but the green oval. I went through a LR obsession in my teens; thought they were only thing I'd ever buy / own / respect. Hormonal thinking :lol:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't buy a landrover for personal use. For business use maintained as a business overhead don't mind

Totally agree.

I have a 110 and we use it's winch for winching, the roof-rack as a hedge trimming platform, the tractor tyres to access places my other vehicles will not get to, the bed/cooker/sink conversion as an overnight sleeper at shows.

Yes it's great for all that but when I go out quoting I prefer to drive my tinny little peugeot van or the transit. It's a vehicle to be used -not driven!

It's crap to drive but it's soooooo useful.

Hold out for a bit Steve, another year or two and there'll be a lot more to choose from. There still quite a lot of very low mileage old shape about, I might even plump for one of them. After all, I have still got my custom made £3.5k air conditioned dog box for that model, it won't fit in the new shape :lol:

I think mine will hold out easy still drives fault less. If you do go for a 2004-2008 check the aircon pipe has been done as its a £1500 body off job unless someone has found a short cut. and avoid the active suspension one like mine. I prefer the look of the old model.

I think mine will hold out easy still drives fault less. If you do go for a 2004-2008 check the aircon pipe has been done as its a £1500 body off job unless someone has found a short cut. and avoid the active suspension one like mine. I prefer the look of the old model.

The one I have just sold was 05 and had the aircon pipe problem, the part was about £120 I think, I just didn't bother with aircon

seems to be love or hate for defender

The land rover has a dozen uses even when its road smoking years are over. Our 110 was finished with so we got our fabricator/welder to lengthen the chassis and mount a simon hoist on the back. while he was at it he fitted some anchors and a hyraulic winch up the back of it. The hydraulic pto has a two way spool too divert too the winch/cherrypicker. While he was at it he fitted an extendable draw bar so it can tow a chipper. I found an fd35 nissan engine on the bay of thieves and we put that in it. Its the nuts and we get no end of use out of it. A friend of mine had a beaten up old 90 and he tore the back off it and fitted a massive drum winch in it running off the pto, same thing its always in use.

They recycle well:)

Bob

Having owned/used hilux, ranger , L200 and various navara's i am now running landrover defender 110 and 130's ! i was a diehard jap fan that thought that they could do anything a landrover could dobut quite simply they dont , they certainly do not and can not carry the ammount of kit that our 130 kit truck carries , they dont and can not easily run a hydraulic winch with hydraulic tool outlets , the chassis it way to flimsy , leaf springs do not allow enough articulation when off road , the four wheel drive system is woeful if you want to use four wheel drive to get out of a field in a ranger you wont be long before the front diff fails , the older rangers are not designed to tow in fifth gear (as advised by Ford when our gearbox went bang ) and last but not least there is not a jap pickup that will take prolonged abuse for years on end and still have a value at the end of it !!!