Ideal first firewood setup.

Woodworks

Before I spend a fortune on kit. What do you all think is an ideal first Pro set up for firewood. The wood I can get will be all hardwood but but mixed sizes.

Current kit is good saws, Landy, Ifor trailer, tractor with forks and an axe.

Realistic budget 10K

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small processor will only handle timber up to a given diameter, perhaps 250mm, if you buy in cord you will get a selection of diameters up to 400mm or more. Therefore you need something to break the bigger diameter timber down to a diameter than can then be put through the processor. That is usually cheaper ( but far slower) than a bigger processor.

I have put my big trunks aside for the time when I grow into a larger machine, could always hire a bigger one in if needed.

A

I would say a PTO driven splitter hung on the back of the tractor.(As opposed to a petrol driven one)

But I suppose the place to start is the optimum way to process your likely feedstock.

Is most/all of it likely to be suitable for processor processing?

What lengths will it be in?

Ditto diameter?

Working on ones own is a proper bugger though, as so many times a second person will more than double production.

The key however is "only man-handle once" , then boxs, pallets, bundles whatever suitable for onward mechanical handling.

In my opinion, even if only through the "crack" making the time fly.

I like my current set up, but it is a long lonely day working on ones own.

Cheers

Marcus

I would say a PTO driven splitter hung on the back of the tractor.(As opposed to a petrol driven one)

But I suppose the place to start is the optimum way to process your likely feedstock.

Is most/all of it likely to be suitable for processor processing?

What lengths will it be in?

Ditto diameter?

Working on ones own is a proper bugger though, as so many times a second person will more than double production.

The key however is "only man-handle once" , then boxs, pallets, bundles whatever suitable for onward mechanical handling.

In my opinion, even if only through the "crack" making the time fly.

I like my current set up, but it is a long lonely day working on ones own.

Cheers

Marcus

I know what you mean about working on your own but have done it for 20 years as I am no business man and the thought of employing others in my folly would probably end in tears :lol:

Handling is fairly sorted using the IBC crates for drying.

Size of wood is a bit of an unknown at this stage. A lot of the hedgerow wood I get will go through a small processor but I presume when I start buying in there is going to be a lot of material that will need splitting down before going through the processor. Looking at a Thor 13 ton PTO 1.2m splitter at the moment.

Unless all your timber is going to be processor sized, I'd go down the route of a decent sized vertical splitter and a swbench, probably with an elevator (the elevator will add a fairl bit to the price but pay for itself in no time).

A processor is all well and good but needs the right timber to get the most out of it.

If you were going to go for a processor, then the Farmi WP are really quite fast for a smaller machine and dead easy to get the hang of as they only have one lever. They self feed and take wiggly stuff well IME too. Other thing with the farmi is that it's really no big job to make it easy to use for splitting rings too, without having to drop them in from the infeed end.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Thanks Chris

Had wondered about a saw bench with elevator. Cost about 3.5k new and second processors go from about 4.5k so find it hard to justify the saw bench unless second hand but if one came up might consider one. To be honest I was looking at getting a new processor as they seem to hold their value so well and I get no interest from money in the bank :biggrin:

I wouldn't bother with a petrol splitter as they are not quick enough. I have a Hakki Pilliki 1x37 processor that does up to 14" and the I have a hydraulic splitter that runs of the tractor hydraulics. I have the splitter free standing but piped into the tractor and the processor on the rear links. They will run together without having to take either off. After many years I have found this is the best way do me to run. I do about 200-300 tonne per year.

Sent from Outerspace.