sythe

hedgesparrow

were can i get a well made scythe not these rubbish ones in certain countrystores. may have a job they have let the grass grow to long. for a mower and strimming be there ages so though of using a scythe. cut it fairly short and finish off with mower.

From experience, unless you are recently practiced with a scythe, buying a brushcutter head for the strimmer will be a much better bet. I once cut 0.5 acre with a scythe when I was rather younger and fitter than I am now. It took ages and I wouldn't do it again! I have since done the job with the brushcutter in about a quarter of the time and with far less exhaustion.

The other thing which does this job really well is an Allen Scythe if you can get a loan of one near enough. Brutal, lethal and a killer on your back, but really quick and the job is done.

Alec

Alec, if you ever feel like a challenge I'll race your brushcutter against my scythe...

I'll happily give it a go, but it will have to wait until I have replaced my brushcutter, which was one of the things that was stolen last December....:sneaky2:

Alec

Alec, if you ever feel like a challenge I'll race your brushcutter against my scythe...

Sparrow, Simon Fairlie is the man when it comes to scythes, his website is not great but he's very helpful and probably one of the most knowledgable people in Britain scythe-wise.

Austrian Scythes for sale.

Austrian Scythe all the way. Get the kit from Simon Fairlie. My strimmer has not been used in three years since I got mine.

Provided that it is being used by someone who knows how to use it properly, a good scythe should always cut quicker and with less effort than a brushcutter. It is also silent in operation, and very much cheaper to run!

However it is very evident that there are relatively few people to day who know how to use one, and for that matter how to sharpen one.

I am sure that I remember being told (back in the '60s by an old Norfolkman who started his farming career as a harvester, harvesting with a scythe) that an acre was originally the area one man could harvest in a day with a scythe.

Perhaps we should start a "scythes" thread!

the scythe is a wonderfull tool, I cut many acres of thistles and docks in my youth, and as treewolf says the folk that can sharpen and use one are few and far between these days, I remember visiting one of the many country fairs come shows a few years ago and a "student" was explaining how to use a scythe, i couldnt help but laugh at his poor attempts, hacking lumps out would have been a better description !!!, he was most upset at me laughing at him, and the usual retort "supose you can do better then" brought about the reply " possibly, couldnt do any worse than your doing" at which point he handed me the scythe and a brand new stone, I amazed him by first setting the blade and handles to suit me, then sharpening it and taking a few swings cut a swathe across where he had been hacking, said to him " its not that difficult is it", laughed , handed him the kit back , and walked away laughing. Its not often you get a chance like that these days.