Chainsaw update training to become mandatory for all operatives from Oct 2013

PhilBeech

...He, as FISA chairman, has no knowledge as to whether the Arb sector is considering these training refreshers.

That's from the horses mouth...

A quote from a family member, who at the time was driving down a road for the first time and being given directions from another family member, who knew the way ahead. The query was, which way do we go. But what was actually said was, "Does this roundabout apply to me?"

The question that the 'Slim Controller' doesn't know the answer to, is one I would have thought would have occurred to him to have already asked. And one he should know the answer to.

To me, FISA has all the hallmarks of being a quango.

Edited by TGB

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from 1st jan you cant work on forestry commision ground if you have not done refresher training 2013 ,

So what if you did the relevant certs in 2012? Would that require a refresher, as it falls within the 5 years

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• 2 months later...

I just heard about this today, it might be ok for people working for the council or Forestry Commission employees who don't get out of the van if it's raining but for some self-employed this could put them out of business. Health & Safety have always been a pain but now they want my money as well, I am beginning to despise these people it's no wonder everybody hates them.

this is going to bite some asses soon, here in the southwest of scotland we have some of the largest stands of softwood in the uk, I was out for a "sunday drive" at the weekend and the forest road I was on took me past an area that they had started to clearfell by harvester....surprise surprise, about half the area had to be done by hand as it was too steep, you could see the tracks where the machinery had been sliding about, and a "line" had been drawn about halfway up a hillside, now from memory of my youth and stories from others most of the forests around the south west were planted by hand back in the late '50's early 60's and no thought was ever given to mechanical extraction, I've seen stands of timber planted up near vertical faces on some of the large plantations, a lot of this timber is going to have to be hand felled and either skylined out or be left,If the owners get to fussy with there call for all this extra certification and paperwork there going to be left with vast tracts of timber that no-one will cut for them and ultimatly be seriously out of pocket, the next couple of years is going to be very interesting in the forestry side of things, in a way I'm glad that I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for some of it these days, but the fact that the numpties who havent served there time in the woods, and are starting to make the rules will gradually kill the industry in this country

this is going to bite some asses soon, here in the southwest of scotland we have some of the largest stands of softwood in the uk, I was out for a "sunday drive" at the weekend and the forest road I was on took me past an area that they had started to clearfell by harvester....surprise surprise, about half the area had to be done by hand as it was too steep, you could see the tracks where the machinery had been sliding about, and a "line" had been drawn about halfway up a hillside, now from memory of my youth and stories from others most of the forests around the south west were planted by hand back in the late '50's early 60's and no thought was ever given to mechanical extraction, I've seen stands of timber planted up near vertical faces on some of the large plantations, a lot of this timber is going to have to be hand felled and either skylined out or be left,If the owners get to fussy with there call for all this extra certification and paperwork there going to be left with vast tracts of timber that no-one will cut for them and ultimatly be seriously out of pocket, the next couple of years is going to be very interesting in the forestry side of things, in a way I'm glad that I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for some of it these days, but the fact that the numpties who havent served there time in the woods, and are starting to make the rules will gradually kill the industry in this country

So true! AND there's so many of them.

At least you haven't got to juggle with the pheasant shooting interests as well....or have you?

codlasher

It won't make a a jot of distance as the management companies will be in charge of the felling and the contractors will be their own contractors who will be the ones with the updated tickets. Its the usual them an us scenario. You won't get a look in unless you tow the Fountains, Tillhill, Scottish Woodlands line.

fortunately, or unfortunatly, for me, they need my skills and kit more than I need them, I wont be jumping through any of there stupid hoops as I have a full work book for the forseeable future and I am already looking at scaling back my workload and starting to do the things I want for a change, one of the joys of getting to be an old grumpy...lol.. It is dissapionting to see the industry going this way, and in my opinion it will destroy it, a few "big" guys making the rules, being controlled by the bean counters with no thoughts to the long term effects that there having