Chainsaw update training to become mandatory for all operatives from Oct 2013

PhilBeech

Our company has just re-tendered for a few contracts and it is was neccessary to state how often we carried out refresher training on all NPTC's and First Aid, it is getting harder and harder to get any work unless you comply 100% with all these regulations, and it is not even great £'s!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been made fairly clear if your to work on FC land or for most of the larger management companies who are members of FISA you'll need the refresher training if you use a chainsaw for any sort of felling activities. Anybody in any doubt ask the FC!!

Its shocking how FISA has responded to the views of the majority of contractors/chainsaw users who have many years experience.

Not to mention the rift they have made between themselves and the Forestry Contractors Association (FCA)

It is so silly tho if you've been doing it for years without any injurys why not continue, you could do your refresher course and the following week have a serious injury. When youve been doing it for years its apart of you like walking nxt will be having training on that. its all down to common scene if you've got it your safe. Ive seen some rite tools who have recently passed and should never be let loose with s bow saw not alone a chainsaw..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I am flippin cross about this. We need to form the, " We have enough certificates and insurance documents already alliance". And just say enough is enough and find the person responsible for making these rules, he must be out there somewhere.

Another thought, being an old git; when I worked in another industry the plebs (us workers) where assessed by the line manager who attended all the courses who then passed on there ultimate knowledge, I thought that this still happens.

The last course I went on (WINDBLOWN) I was told that this was ok for being re-assessed,anyway NPTC ASSESSMENT WAS FOR LIFE, I was also told to keep my Blue book?

OK I know we have to keep up to the ideas it is for our own good, but let us have some common sense and a level playing field. Remember that Parliament makes the laws not a company making a great deal of money.

I am flippin cross about this. We need to form the, " We have enough certificates and insurance documents already alliance". And just say enough is enough and find the person responsible for making these rules, he must be out there somewhere.

Regulation nation anyone:sneaky2:

easy-lift guy

Not to mention the rift they have made between themselves and the Forestry Contractors Association (FCA)

And it is some rift!!! I'm in the FCA and will be staying in the FCA. Some very good letters in this months Forestry Journal from both sides. Lets just say the pro fisa ones come across as very politically correct, very labourite, lots of BS. The pro FCA ones are common sense, reasonable and down to earth.

This is not the latest article (below) but is just the start!

http://www.forestryjournal.co.uk/newsitefiles/2013/0213/Fisa.pdf

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

It boils down to the HSE, I think Francis Hirst is still in charge at the wood sector, I can dig out the phone number if you like or you can just Google HSE wood sector, they were based at Stoneleigh park but that might have changed.