milling pics and vids

burrell_

Some greenheart milling today.... tough stuff. Has to be pressure washed and seems to do something to the blade temper as after a few cuts it starts vibrating and whining.

For a fence for my brother - he better be grateful :sneaky2:

:001_smile:

Rob that looks like a bit of boscombe pier! I thought it looked wonky:001_tt2:

Thanks All for the comments. The engine hoist does surprisingly well - I'm considering getting a cheap 2-ton one and mounting it on a tube to use as a fixed crane on the trailer.

Steve - thought you might like seeing the work in progress :001_smile:

I was hopeful it was a really good piece and so far it's proved to be excellent. Only a very small number of knots and no other defects of consequence.

The bandsaw is great when it's working, but it threw a bit of a fit on this job and got through four bands in half an hour with only about two or three cuts between them. A bit of welding later and back in business though.

Alec

sorry to hear that you had a few probs with the bandsaw, i hope its not been too costly...

let me know when you are ready to send me that sample. did i give you my address???

sorry to hear that you had a few probs with the bandsaw, i hope its not been too costly...

let me know when you are ready to send me that sample. did i give you my address???.

Not too costly - welding was bands as commercially made ones are a bit random as to how well they're welded, annealed and dressed and I hit on a bad batch. Fortunately I can weld them back up much better than the original, but it just holds things up a little.

Sample is outside my back door, got your address, just need to wrap it up and send it off.

Alec

cheers found it very rewarding and relaxing, first chain didnae cut very well so sharpened the spare chain was amazed how it helped the mill through the wood. Will try oot the 395 and the dc9010 on the other log tomorrow.

[ATTACH]122227[/ATTACH][ATTACH]122228[/ATTACH]

Wonderful pippy oak that. I've not ever had it quite as wild as that - always seems to be areas of tight pin burr with cleanish areas around it. That log of yours seems to be completely wild!

Good first effort on the milling Broonie - keep it up!

• 5 weeks later...