milling pics and vids

burrell_

I've never seen Juniper milled - very nice!

Here are a couple of photos of a huge Elm tree that I milled last week. 16ft long, 35 inches diameter. Sadly a well hidden rotten cavity, which was odd as it contained no rotten wood, only well composted wood. In addition to that, the line from compost to sound timber was very clearly defined - no mushy wood.

Anyway, I think that the positive to take from it is that the cavity and rot possibly caused some very strong colouration - loads of orange and green.

3 inch thick boards too, loaded to the kiln after. Not fun at about 300kg each!

DSCF0780_zps75fe4199.jpg

DSCF0782_zps179e6485.jpg

what made u do that matty the wood looks really nice iv got 4 big ish ones to take out soon might mill them now

Saw the colours have worked on this tree before and they get deeper as they are exposed to air..unlike yew, definitely worth the time though.

Nice elm J ,I looked at some elms today that would of looked great planked but they only wanted the spruce out.

we were a bit surprised when we arrived on site and saw the size of em!, made me remember how good it is milling big sticks with the trekkasaw, was impressed with how the LT40 coped but as with you looking to have capacity to cut wider and deeper:001_smile:

597664ecef405_mobilesawmilling.jpg.4812778d2e7dc17acdd664e24fb4a1e9.jpg

597664eced396_greenoaktimberframmobilesawmilling.jpg.85119905f49d6f6c8cee1792bfbb6fc7.jpg

we were a bit surprised when we arrived on site and saw the size of em!, made me remember how good it is milling big sticks with the trekkasaw, was impressed with how the LT40 coped but as with you looking to have capacity to cut wider and deeper:001_smile:

People are amazed at the size of some of the trees we get through but having one pillar means you can squeeze them in there

People are amazed at the size of some of the trees we get through but having one pillar means you can squeeze them in there

That being said, oversized logs are a very good way of increasing the risk of damage to the machine. Anything over about 34 inches gets chainsaw milled halved and resawn on the LT40. It's much quicker, and I have little demand for full width boards these days.

Agreed also but if you have no chainsaw mill you can skim a bit turn skim a bit etc till you can take some big chunks out.

We use quite a few big trees for orders where we have a lot of beams one size but needs and demand determi w how you mill your timber. And what orders etc

I would always recommend any Woodmizer operator have a chainsaw mill to help break up those larger logs. Another benefit is that it produces a vastly more stable board once the heart has been removed, resulting in a superior end product.

That said, I am quite jealous of your ability to quickly break down logs with the big Woodmizer. Much quicker and less labour intensive than the chain mills.