milling pics and vids

burrell_

1 hour ago, se7enthdevil said:

i was going to offer you something for that if it didn't sell. looks a nice bit of wood and we don't get too much elm down this way.

Don't get much ourselves here , that tree was a council job and I asked my Garden customer to ask there Tree lads to leave the Trunk behind which they Gladly done .

Ste

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, IVECOKID said:

A few more Beech  slabs milled  today, that's my last Trunk that's been hanging about for 18 montvs

6ft long and 21 inches wide , lovely markings .

Ste

20180118_110224.jpg

20180118_112007.jpg

20180118_110241.jpg

20180118_114216.jpg

Whats the secret to getting Beech to spalt like that? I have a decent size stick of it wondered how long I need to leave it.

3 hours ago, HuntingHicap said:

Whats the secret to getting Beech to spalt like that? I have a decent size stick of it wondered how long I need to leave it.

Has Stephen said above , this Tree was in Decline and parted company from the main Trunk .

I have milled other Healthier parts of the Tree and hardly any Spalt showing .

Ste

Yes ok. I have done a bit of research and it seems like left in a damp enviroment the butt should develop some fungi (not sure if thats the correct term) and then its a case of milling it at the right time before it turns into mush. My yard is about 6inches deep in bog this time of year so that should help :thumbup: