Are pick up tippers worth the extra £££?

farmer_ben

a tipper?!? i am hoping to buy a pick up but the money is too much at the moment.

have to make do with kicking the logs out of the back of my van. :thumbup:

we all have to start somewhere and some of us with no bank loans or start up funds

Appreciate where your coming from I started with a basic pickup which Ben had from me! Not saying run before you can walk but when your in a position for a tipper they are worth every penny IMO

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tipping from a pickup is a mug's game, pros take out four bulk bags at a time on a flatbed :001_rolleyes:

But they can't get em down the narrow alley or through the gate posts, quite a few of my customers can't get a transit down there drives.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

Richard wale must be new to this! If you unload by hand the costumer think if your doing that by hand so you may as well put them in a barrow and wheel them round the back to the log store!

Richard we have over 800 log costumers and started by unloading by hand.

So what happens when you deliver to someone who's just had pattern imprinted concrete drive layed?? Don't think they'd be too chuffed if you just fired the tipper up!! So what do you do then tip it on the road??

I deliver plenty of firewood and i'm not gonna start willy measuring but more than most. I've had tippers,flatbeds,panel vans 4x4's only thing i havn't bothered with is a hiab.

I currently run a l200 with some high sides on and a choice of ifor tipper and a flatbed. But everytime i deliver i have a barrow brush and shovel stashed somewhere on the motor and i don't mind wheeling a cube of wood into someone wood store and i don't leave bark or splinters on the drive/street either and thats why people buy wood from me apart from the fact its seasoned and cheaper :001_smile::001_smile:

Edited by treedweller

But they can't get em down the narrow alley or through the gate posts, quite a few of my customers can't get a transit down there drives.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

Was a tongue in cheek jibe at Mr Pro Log :lol:

To be honest, I've never struggled with my transit. There's one drop at a pub where you drive up to the car park, and its tight. On the way back down, the sides ALWAYS kiss the building, but by the look of the brickwork so do half the punters after one too many!

I only use the transit as logs are a sideline, and the transit is our workhorse for everything else. Vented bulk bags suit the system at the yard so it's all good. :thumbup1:

I'd say unless your running out a dozen loads a day, one of those windy unloady things would be the best bet.

Regardless of the talk of added value, I bet you won't see the actual cost of the conversion back in full above the going rate for the standard truck when you come to sell.

So what happens when you deliver to someone who's just had pattern imprinted concrete drive layed?? Don't think they'd be too chuffed if you just fired the tipper up!! So what do you do then tip it on the road??

I deliver plenty of firewood and i'm not gonna start willy measuring but more than most. I've had tippers,flatbeds,panel vans 4x4's only thing i havn't bothered with is a hiab.

I currently run a l200 with some high sides on and a choice of ifor tipper and a flatbed. But everytime i deliver i have a barrow brush and shovel stashed somewhere on the motor and i don't mind wheeling a cube of wood into someone wood store and i don't leave bark or splinters on the drive/street either and thats why people buy wood from me apart from the fact its seasoned and cheaper :001_smile::001_smile:

Go steady on the cheaper part mate, sounds like a premium service to me and deserves a premium price IMHO.

would also like to know where i casn get one of these log delivery bikes complete with tipping unit????????

If you want one like mine, just let me know, I'll import one for you.

It'll cost a bit more than a tipper conversion though....

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1364905181.459451.jpg.cb73cc5e50ee18a3451f7a369b0137f5.jpg.

If you want one like mine, just let me know, I'll import one for you.

It'll cost a bit more than a tipper conversion though....

[ATTACH]119514[/ATTACH].

thats top draw is that!!!!

love it!!!

i was thinking about getting a tuk tuk with a tipper conversion but import cost was going to be too much!!!!

Was a tongue in cheek jibe at Mr Pro Log :lol:

To be honest, I've never struggled with my transit. There's one drop at a pub where you drive up to the car park, and its tight. On the way back down, the sides ALWAYS kiss the building, but by the look of the brickwork so do half the punters after one too many!

I only use the transit as logs are a sideline, and the transit is our workhorse for everything else. Vented bulk bags suit the system at the yard so it's all good. :thumbup1:

I'd say unless your running out a dozen loads a day, one of those windy unloady things would be the best bet.

Regardless of the talk of added value, I bet you won't see the actual cost of the conversion back in full above the going rate for the standard truck when you come to sell.

you wont see the price back hence why i said buy one but dont sell it!!

the tipper unit on my cabstar has been on 4 chassis cabs now & is soon liable to go onto another one!

just buy a nice tidy pick up get your own tipper body fitted work the nuts off it then put the nice clean tidy standard back back on it & sell it buy another nice clean pick up & the cycle continues!

this way you get your moneys worth out of the tipper unit & are not looking for another tipper when you sell your existing truck you can easily source just any type of pick up which your tipper unit will fit on!

Exactly my thoughts, less mess and the other thing I have got alot of other work due to the half hour chat with the customer whilst unloading by hand, plus as above you dont leave a pile of dirt/sawdust/bark etc on the customers drive :thumbup1: