My hilux came with235 70 16

General gabber at2 s

Ive done around 13,000 miles and they are just under half worn,

I reckon I will get 30,000 if lucky

This is pulling towing traveling with weight and general abuse they get,

Very good road manors

However my truck has now been lifted and I will be going for 31 x 10.5 x 15"

Cooper discovery stt's

This will hopefully give me a bit more traction and will last longer than say an I as turbo or kingpin or malatesta remould

I just want a tyre with a but more grip I find the at2 in wet mud just clogs up and spins

Only been stuck once though however if my truck is wearing MUDs I will be a lot happier

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hilux came with235 70 16

General gabber at2 s

Ive done around 13,000 miles and they are just under half worn,

I reckon I will get 30,000 if lucky

This is pulling towing traveling with weight and general abuse they get,

Very good road manors

I can live with that kind of mileage. My Runway HT's are on 19,000 and have a few mm left. But not enough to keep me happy through the winter, and certainly not enough for when it gets a bit boggy.

I'd love to have the luxury of price matching, but the few pounds saving up here still leaves you with a big whack on top compared to you guys in the deep south where there's loads of competition. Still, I'd rather live up here :001_smile:

I had the GG AT2's and thought they were very good indeed, a good compromise of road manners and occasional off road grip. Got a new truck and fancied something else (variety being the spice of life!!) so went for some Toyo Open Country AT. I have to say, so far so good, had them only on the rears last winter and they were pretty damn good. Got them all round now, so I'm waiting for the snow!!

are you driving a d3 or d4 I think part of the problem is heat from low profile tyres also the 3.5 tonnes of weight of vehicle and 255 hp = new tyres every year at £800

D2, TD5 ES, 03 plate. a mere 265,000 miles on the clock so far, about 130 bhp.

A

I've just fitted a set of insa turbo rangers on my daihatsu terios and so far I'm well pleased. They grip perfectly well off road and on road they are no noisier than my previous road tyres and if anything they are better in the wet than the road tyres were . Also at £67 each delivered I won't be too sad if they don't last too long

When I picked up my Defender 90 from new I was fully anticipating the almost road pattern General tyres they were fitting at the time.

My plan was to fit either the General Grabber AT2 which I think are superb or try out some Coopers which appear to be gaining in popularity.

Much to my surprise I had the first set of Continental Cross Contact AT into the dealership which looked pretty handy so I thought I'd leave them on.

After 42,000 miles these tyres still look pretty much like new and the performance across a whole range of conditions has been truly remarkable.

They are quite a narrow profile and I'd prefer something a little wider in some applications, but after 3 seasons of hard work they've not let me down and the wear rate seems excellent.

Eddie.

We've just put some on our HiLux.

I've always ran BFG's and found that in the long term they work out cheaper than any other tyre as they outlast them by a considerable margin including Generals which I ran on landy's for a bit.

We were changing the BFg's at about 50K miles and they still had about 5mm of tread left but by that stage weren't much cop in the gloop or snow.

IME Remoulds just aren't worth it on a daily driver doing average or abve avergae miles of miles, the performance is usually way below a premium brand tyre (borderline scary on some) and they just don't seem to last.

We've just put a set of the conti cross contact AT's on to try as the truck will be getting changed in a year so if they don't last as long as the BFG's it's no great shakes but first impressions are very promising. Despite being a quite aggressive profile they are no noisier than the BFG's and corner and stop just as well. Price wise we got 4 Conti's for the same price as 3 of the BFG's!!! Deffinitely well worth a look.

Continental Tyres -ContiCrossContact? AT

You will always struggle to convince those that have not run the BFG allterrain that they really are the best tyre for a 4X4. I must be the tightest git on here but I dont mind paying out the difference because like the above post says they will still be good at 50k miles. Not the best in deep mud but the best all rounder by a long chalk..Also very sure footed in the wet.

Bob