Who is not qualified...?

Ty Korrigan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NPTC's are not qualifications anyway, so they do not make any of us qualified.

Without any NPTC's I would be exactly the same at my job, but I would have had less doors open to me along the way.

spot on.

i have cs 30 31 38 39 40 ipaf chipper and grinder. isa cert arb qual.

I must admit I resent paying what feels like a lot of money for NPTC training and having to take time off work to do it. But when on the courses I find I invariably learn something new and also unlearn some bad habits I may have slipped into. I now have all the tickets necessary to cover me for felling/dismantling in any situation including MEWP and Chipper.

I am glad I did them and do not have to do them again.

NPTC tickets do not mean that you are qualified they just show that you have been able to demonstrate the desired level of competence/safety.

So far,

I have opened my own doors and NO-ONE has ever asked me for my tickets or demanded to see my insurance.

All clients take it on trust I am competant.

I look professional, have a tongue like an electric eel and a shiny business card that blinds clients.

I'm not a spiv but if I saw a 150m Sequioa with a DBH of 9m I'd say "Why yes I can do this but do you want the wood?" then calmly put in a quote and call some-one better able to do the job.

You need no certs. to be a tout/agent/businessman.

Ty

That's what I'm starting to do in a fashion Ty but for different reasons. I have level 4 Certs in Arb, horticulture and conservation and level 2 forestry. I'm also starting to get too old to be doing the bigger stuff when I can subcontract in a younger, more agile guy to break his arse on the job. I have the tickets that say I can do pretty much everything but I know my limits and try and keep it simple. My tickets say I can do crane work but I've done one crane job in 23 years so i leave that for someone else with more experience. Just because my tickets say I can do it doesn't mean I can.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

That sums up a professional attitude really. Know your limits go that far. Plus you need to be commercially viable, its no shame, not everyone is a goal scorer, it needs competant teams to achieve, qualified or not.

Sadly some in tree work are so competitive and inflated with ego and get narked when they see others do tree work its quite pathetic. This thread has been quite balanced and that is a good thing you find here on this forum:thumbup: