• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

on the ebay listing for logs its says in the discription part

Item specifics

Condition:

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is ...

well thats lucky then.......

(hopefully i am not the one being stupid here)

a couple of months ago i took down a big leylandi for a lady who lives next door to a car body shop, one of the guys working there asked if he could have the wood, i said yes carry on, the other day the same lady calls me back to take down a biggish eucalyptus which was overhanging next door as well but that all the wood was to be left on site, it turns out that the same guy who had the leylandi wood had seen me pricing the job and the following day had knocked her door saying that he would take the tree down free just for the wood, when i saw him on his break i told him what i thought of him and how would he like it if i parked outside his work telling people that i would spray their cars cheaper than him, he had no reply.

Had a guy buying logs off me the other year who was proudly telling me that he had gone to take down a silver birch for someone in exchange for the wood, he had tried to do a straight fell in the front garden of the house end result......he took down part of the guttering and pulled the phoneline off so that it was hanging across the road :001_rolleyes: guess that customer of his foundout just how much free can cost you :001_cool:

Who would be liable then if someone doing a job for free, say for instance felling a 40-50' oak or whatever for firewood and it landed on your house. More than likely they wouldn't be qualified or insured and would disappear pretty quickly from the scene. Would the homeowner's insurance company pay out. If I were the insurance company I would be asking to see the quote in writing in order to follow up with recovering the payout in court. Would they even pay out if they knew it was someone dodgy doing the work. What would happen in this situation if someone got killed even? That's quite a big can of worms being opened and I know what I would say to the homeowner if I was the insurance company.

Who would be liable then if someone doing a job for free, say for instance felling a 40-50' oak or whatever for firewood and it landed on your house. More than likely they wouldn't be qualified or insured and would disappear pretty quickly from the scene. Would the homeowner's insurance company pay out. If I were the insurance company I would be asking to see the quote in writing in order to follow up with recovering the payout in court. Would they even pay out if they knew it was someone dodgy doing the work. What would happen in this situation if someone got killed even? That's quite a big can of worms being opened and I know what I would say to the homeowner if I was the insurance company.

My first inclination would be to apply the 'but for' rule for causation, ie 'but for' the muppet trying to cut it down, it wouldn't have fallen on the house.

Will also sub out for free, maximising your profit!

My ebay advert for more details...

tree surgery | eBay

:thumbup:[/quote

Why not pop round drink my beer and enjoy my wife.

You've piped up offering your services for a "reward" regardless money or materials I see not difference.

You could've should've gained to respect of the notable forum members before you posted a link to a advert that essentialy is a slap in the face of guys out there making a living out of tree work.

There is no grey area this guy is working for reward as we are all aware the term " hire or reward" and use of the service is contractual as there is gain involved.

The concept sounds basically logical but this industry is any thing but basic.

Treegeek out.

You could've should've gained to respect of the notable forum members before you posted a link to a advert that essentialy is a slap in the face of guys out there making a living out of tree work.

Alex is in Somerset, the chap in the advert is t'up North, I suspect Alex is highlighting the advert not punting his free work!

He might wish to take you up on the offer of your wife though, very generous of you :biggrin: