Kretzschmaria deusta

David Humphries

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cross section of a recent large roadside Kretzch Beech removal (see below)

Over the years I've attended many windblown Beech trees which failed due to Kretzch, also dismantled and felled many large Kretzch Beeches over the years. Nearly always see extensive decay when seeing fruiting bodies like in your pics.

Personally I would fell those two trees if they are near a busy B road. The tomograph/picus is a complete waste of time and money.

597669e932d3e_KretzchBeech3.jpg.2f6e4f586a41cb512f6cb15b01051905.jpg

• 6 months later...

We took the opportunity to look across the wood densities associated with the different decays on this cross section from the failed lime from post 83.

Clearly shows the higher resistance across the soft rot section where the Kretzschmaria prevades as opposed to where the graph drops off significantly through the white rot of the core of the cross section.

59766c85a0704_Kretzschtest1.jpg.20768254282d3e1540154e373cfdea0b.jpg

IMG_7763.JPG.a22daf928db6d8d26e78e7d71e764b15.JPG

IMG_7757.JPG.995be5f161287c04bc00d52d2ad6f116.JPG

IMG_7745.JPG.a2b684718d6e5bfc88037037d1a23e04.JPG

Jules, the readings on this cross section of lime were taken across both functional wood and decayed volumes. The work is being put together for an article on soft rot and decay drills.

When I get back to the office later I'll put up the reading taken across functional wood which we took as a control from the same cross section

They make for an interesting comparison