Kretzschmaria deusta

David Humphries

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it then? small white on the buttress roots, root decayed, and soft?

[ATTACH]14577[/ATTACH]

It seems to be growing in a layer ]

I have no idea (possibly a mould connected with the condition of the deteriorating wood)

Your pictures do not look like the immature fruitbody stage of Ust.

I could be wrong

DSC00975.JPG.03c4aa2864f59309a63a7f78fbf45f3d.JPG

P3190006.jpg.be0ebf0ea58c0d937a3db5854963170c.jpg

I have no idea (possibly a mould connected with the condition of the deteriorating wood)

Your pictures do not look like the immature fruitbody stage of Ust.

I could be wrong

I'm with you on this one, Monkeyd, doesn't look like the immature stage of Ustulina to me. Don't know what it might be, though.

I was told Ustulina was sometimes (often?) associated with horizontal tearing off of roots. I found this on a lime covered in Ustulina (hollow and rotten but still standing and trying to react): two or three roots were torn off. Anybody heard anything similar?

DSC_0046.jpg.c87ae34c5f9f9395a0f6567e9f530cbb.jpg

• 8 months later...

What a great thread.

monkey your earlier remark regarding 100ft beeches infected to be allowed to stand and fail, on it! see the monster beech in my gallery, just started to show signs, and many of the beeches in whippendell fail due to three fungi, australe, ustulina and merripilus, couldnt ask for a better fungal observatory!

My observations tie in nicely with the comments regarding it going arond 2 metres up the stem, this is the hieght they often seem to fail at where the envrittlement stops and the sound starts. I have a line of beeches that seem to have all fallen at the same time from a combo of ustulina and ganos, old relics laying on the deck now but even now their story is clear. Judging by the regrowth of understory and rate of decay I reackon they went down in the last hurricane about 97 wasnt it?

• 5 months later...

Hullo,

just found what I (99%) believe to be Ustulina duesta at the base of a sycamore on a rainy walkabout today. Any chance someone could confirm/deny for me?

Medium sized tree with busy public path and buildings in target zone, die-back at top... naive question but it has to be removed, right?

Cheers.

IMG_5213.jpg.0f3939761a831b52295440959cd324a3.jpg

IMG_5208.jpg.350ebebb7359b49d2bbccebcd498406a.jpg

IMG_5223.jpg.63e6b3655a27de7174e16a049b217e6d.jpg

Hullo,

just found what I (99%) believe to be Ustulina duesta at the base of a sycamore on a rainy walkabout today. Any chance someone could confirm/deny for me?

Medium sized tree with busy public path and buildings in target zone, die-back at top... naive question but it has to be removed, right?

Cheers.

Most definately Kretzschmaria (Ustulina) duesta there Rid.

The scenario you describe certainly lends itself to a removal.

Keep us posted, and if you get a chance I wouldn't mind seeing a cross section at point of decay, when/if it is removed.

Thanks

David

• 8 months later...