Out of touch

jarnii

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate Rhett (Bretonboy) is a famous exponent of the hedge-hog-log.

The day Rhett forgot his spikes...DUH!:001_tt2:

Nothing wrong with that if its being felled. I use pegs all the time makes life easier not only that spikes do my knees in if I'm on them to long

Pegs where needed & non otherwise, and as for having to use a cambium saver to descent of your not professional - what a load of rubbish. Cut a notch or come down the back-side away from the small peg. All 3 options function equally, but the smashing of my cambium saver onto the black-top is my least favorite.

Hey Adam I did a week while waiting for the new ozzy visa came through but nothing to extensive I was too keen to get back to climb all the burnt trees which where mad fun. Dunno if I fancy it now over there got eyes on pastures new after this year. As for the cambium saver thing I didn't specify what I was harping on about to much.

I was referring to using one for pruning and takedowns where you head to to the top remove as much as poss then work off a anchor for the rest. To me not using one here is a bit crazy for a few reasons. I also feel in the case of the guy falling from the tree this could have been avoided if the cs that lives in his bag was used it would have isolated a point on the tree for him and allowed him to not slip off the peg. If the guys seen the advantages enough to buy one then why not use it for something so simple. I do agree a peg would work but we have to fell the timber for usage in a mill and any pegs are a huge no no even collars on the tree are not allowed it means the tree will need doing again when it has been felled.

It's been interesting seeing the sides put across and I can obviously see why they are left sometimes and some of the points are very true but working in a garden would the pegs not just need cutting off so branches can be chipped and wood stacked tidy. I remember being told that if you remove the branch then the peg the groundy will be charging about picking up pegs at the bottom of the tree and dropping half on the way to the chipper.

Peter what's a black top I'm not familiar. Or is it a typo.