My v6 chainsaw thread thingy.

Rich2484

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly Rich - you got too much time on your hands my friend:001_rolleyes:

If I was to do it, I would think a bike engine would be the way to go - even a lowly 125cc will make 20 - 25bhp if it is a YPVS one - a motocross engine would do it.

Other than that one of the small Honda 400cc fours will give you 40 - 60bhp

bigger??? ......Suzuki GSX engine - that will do it nicely.

My choice - keep it light but powerful - any of the Yamaha YPVS engines - very trick way of keeping the power in a nice fat powerband, light and high HP! Single cylinder motocross would be the best!

Interesting project - I was thinking of using a bike engine on my Suffolk Colt - thought I could put a seat on it but no time!

Firstly Rich - you got too much time on your hands my friend:001_rolleyes:

If I was to do it, I would think a bike engine would be the way to go - even a lowly 125cc will make 20 - 25bhp if it is a YPVS one - a motocross engine would do it.

Other than that one of the small Honda 400cc fours will give you 40 - 60bhp

bigger??? ......Suzuki GSX engine - that will do it nicely.

My choice - keep it light but powerful - any of the Yamaha YPVS engines - very trick way of keeping the power in a nice fat powerband, light and high HP! Single cylinder motocross would be the best!

Interesting project - I was thinking of using a bike engine on my Suffolk Colt - thought I could put a seat on it but no time!

HI STEVE what about a suzuki RM engine will that do the job ok thanks jon :thumbup:

Only just really read this thread so a few thoughts on the run....

Using a v6 engine you would have to incorporate lots of wiring and ecu management if its off a jap car like a mazda mx3 etc then on top the water cooling.

Secondly the likes of using newer bike engines whilst ecu's are much smaller you will still have the water cooling issue.

My instant thought was a bike engine, suzuki bandit or oil cooled gsxr. Small enough, no water cooling just needs a small oil cooler. 600cc is around 60hp 1200cc around 100hp but lots of torque.

HI STEVE what about a suzuki RM engine will that do the job ok thanks jon :thumbup:

Any two stroke motorcross engine with a powervalve and 20+HP on tap - will have more than double the power of the largest commercial chainsaw:thumbup:

You could use the old school Honda red rocket 250cc air cooled - fast bikes!