Slow cooking in chip?

Rik

Hey guys, bit of a random one, ive found that you can cook some meat at temperatures as low as 55degree C if u cook it very slowly, now ive got a stable temperature of juat of 60degrees in our current chip mountain. Thinkig of gettin a hunk of beef in there for 24 hours or so and seeing what happens.

Anyone else ever done anything like this? Did it work? Or am i just being stoopid?! :P

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a great idea although isn't that heat in the chip pile bacteria breaking down the wood...?

Used to work at a green waste recycling centre and the piles of shredded green waste (wind rows) could reach an internal temp of around 80 degrees C although there were some nasty things in like e coli etc.

Chip is probably not as bad as that but maybe something to think about.

Hey guys, bit of a random one, ive found that you can cook some meat at temperatures as low as 55degree C if u cook it very slowly, now ive got a stable temperature of juat of 60degrees in our current chip mountain. Thinkig of gettin a hunk of beef in there for 24 hours or so and seeing what happens.

Anyone else ever done anything like this? Did it work? Or am i just being stoopid?! :P

Go for it mate,never know untill you try:thumbup1:

Should work ok, just make sure it's in enough moisture to stop it drying out.

Normally when I cook stuff for long periods (lambs neck at 60c) it's essential to keep covering it in its own juices as it'll come out as leather otherwise.

If you can keep the moisture in, you can get very tough cuts of meat to a tenderness where all you'll need is a spoon.

I'd be happy with cooking veg this way as that is a simple hydrolysis and its what makes the starchy material easier to digest, mind it will take a long time as that is why we normally boil or steam.

The reason we cook meat till all the mass is above 70C is so that any pathogens are killed before we dine.

Mind there is no reason why thermophylic bacteria wouldn't develop in the chip pile, especially if there were some fresh greenery in the mix. A place I worked easily achieved 70C from bacterial action in order to treat waste food to 70C for more than an hour, which is the UK standard before the waste can be spread on land.

Having said that whole lumps of red meat are likely to be fairly safe as if the animal is healthy pathogens will be superficial, the same cannot be said for mince or chicken and probably pork too.

Some interesting hi gs i never thought about, i think ill get it wrapped up well and maybe add some butter etc to help keep some moisture in? I dunmo... Ill frig about and see what happens! Ill let ye all know how it goes :)