Fake Saws

eddiegts

I had a guy (white van and a dog on a rope kind of guy ;) )

Turn up the office asking if I would be interested in any saws and or generators thought I would take a look and to slow him down so we could get his number plate! He opened the door to the van and he had 10 brand new stihl saws but they were so obvious fake

Cheap nasty plastic wrong type of on off switch nasty looking bar and chain etc...

I said no chance they are fake and he looked shocked and said he got 30 odd off eBay ( picked them up from peterbourgh)

Feel for the poor people who don't know any different and get had by him.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I used to work in sound engineering, we'd get the same thing with 'professional studio monitors'.

White van would turn up outside the studio while we were smoking outside.

"Mate! We're delivering these monitors to South London and we've got an extra pair! You can have them for £500!"

They'd give you a price sheet with a direct phone number to their mate in case you wanted to check the price. Can't remember if they were a genuine faked brand, or some entirely invented brand ("Pro-Studio Monitor 2000" or whatever).

Obviously the speakers were bobbins, or the boxes empty. We never found out.

Funny how these idiots think that people who know about this stuff (professionals) would fall for it...

When I used to work in sound engineering, we'd get the same thing with 'professional studio monitors'.

White van would turn up outside the studio while we were smoking outside.

"Mate! We're delivering these monitors to South London and we've got an extra pair! You can have them for £500!"

They'd give you a price sheet with a direct phone number to their mate in case you wanted to check the price. Can't remember if they were a genuine faked brand, or some entirely invented brand ("Pro-Studio Monitor 2000" or whatever).

Obviously the speakers were bobbins, or the boxes empty. We never found out.

Funny how these idiots think that people who know about this stuff (professionals) would fall for it...

Wow that scam has been going for a long time, they tried that on me back in the early 90's

We had a bloke pull into the yard a couple of weeks ago in a Isuzu trooper. Tried to sell us some "Stihls" left over from an exhibition! which were clearly nasty looking fakes. I told him that we weren't interested, and he eventually dropped from £180 each to £60 for a saw. I said no thanks, and sent him on his way. Then blow me, a week later out on a delivery I was flagged down by a bloke in a blue van selling the same type of saws. First time for a long time around here..

probably the same people or relatives of the ones that paid a visit to an old guy living by me who had a knock on the door "we are tarmacing in the area and have a lorry load left over, your path looks dangerous and you dont want to fall. We could do it for you for £800. treat the weeds and lay it all propper... take us a day"

so he got coaxed (more like bullied) into saying yes and they did it all in an hour, they said it would be laid the regulation 2" thick? in truth it is more like 1/4" to 1/2" but it looked nice when they finished and he paid up never to see them again. Despite the promise of a check a month later when it all settled.

No I know it's easy to say no and send them on their way but to a frail 90 year old who worries about falling it probably seemed like the sensible thing to do at the time.

They know there is one born every minute and if they knock 100 doors they will get a takers and its good money for the work done which isnt much.

Do they sleep at night:confused1:

well we wouldnt:mad1:

A few weeks later we found out police were looking into a series of complaints of poor workmanship, unfinished jobs and things going missing from gardens. Years later we still never heard of an outcome but they havent been back, just moved around the country I expect :sneaky2:

Edited by Old WoodChip

We've had matey in the blue van round us, we were workin roadside a mile from home, he pulls up 'wanna buy stills ' ,then two hour later pulls up where I live 'wanna buy stills ?', drove to one stop, come out of shop, he's there' wanna buy stills' persistent but either no memory or proper thick

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

We've had matey in the blue van round us, we were workin roadside a mile from home, he pulls up 'wanna buy stills ' ,then two hour later pulls up where I live 'wanna buy stills ?', drove to one stop, come out of shop, he's there' wanna buy stills' persistent but either no memory or proper thick

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

He might have had a mild form of Tourette's.:001_huh::biggrin:

hi there we had two guys here in north devon offering chainsaws, grinders , generators and various other power tools my neighbour said he wasnt interested and sent them packing :thumbup::thumbup:

Was it a newish discovery and/or a blue Peugeot estate by any chance? The same guys have been hassling us for weeks!