vehicle check lists

jaime bray

I have recently had a couple of bulbs go on my two vehicles and it made me realise that as I am busier with other aspects of the company etc these small things are going unnoticed. A neighbour just said to me 'still not fixed that bulb yet then, thats been gone for two weeks now' :thumbdown:

Does anybody have a good daily/weekly/monthly checklist template that they wouldnt mind putting up for use by other arb companies.

I am not mechanically minded and although I think that I know what to check, the trainee has little mechanical maintenance knowledge. Having searched the web, many of the sites talk about checking transmission levels and other details that go beyond what i think I am looking for.

I am thinking that this isnt a bad habit to get into, and was thinking of giving the trainee some responsibilities in this aspect.

I would also consider getting the Arboricultural Association to put something up on the website under help for arborists, so if this is not a problem and you do not mind your template being used by other companies then please feel free to assist.

I have done a table of things, but what I have done is embarrassingly naive....I think.

Good thinking I hitched up the trailer this morning to find out the lights on one side didn't work cue half an hour of numb fingers to change the unit out. I normally check the lights work every time I hitch up something and check oil ect every week but interested in others ideas

Good thinking I hitched up the trailer this morning to find out the lights on one side didn't work cue half an hour of numb fingers to change the unit out. I normally check the lights work every time I hitch up something and check oil ect every week but interested in others ideas

It was the rear light that had gone, and as we tend to not drive in the dark as we are normally finished by then, it wasnt picked up when following back to yard. Also when I ask for the trailer lights to be checked that is obviously all that is checked, whilst i flick through the different lights for the trailer.

If you want to take the route you will need a daily checklist, weekly, monthly, and then the 6 month, and 12 month checks.

Some machinery is different as its all down to what the book says as service intervals.

The sheets are easy to do yourself and it doesn't matter how it looks so long as the basic info is there.

Daily normally is lights, horn, wipers, mirrors, engine oil, tyres, brakes work, handbrake, windscreen wash. The sorts of things you use driving a the vehicle.

Monthly is all of the above plus, all other oil checks and engine air filter.

Six months is all above, plus oil changes. And filter changes.

Yearly is all above, plus whatever is due a service interval, the yearly is getting into the big service stuff like changing diff oils and gearbox oils. But again it is down to what equipment you have and what the manufactures recommend as a service interval.

I did have a few around with it all on for tractors, forklifts and 360 excavators. I will have a dig through the paperwork and see if I can find them.

Haha, I looked at that and started reading got to page 10 and thought this is to much for my wants. Didnt scan down that far.

Thanks, think thats quite inclusive.

Edited by jaime bray

If you want to take the route you will need a daily checklist, weekly, monthly, and then the 6 month, and 12 month checks.

Some machinery is different as its all down to what the book says as service intervals.

The sheets are easy to do yourself and it doesn't matter how it looks so long as the basic info is there.

Daily normally is lights, horn, wipers, mirrors, engine oil, tyres, brakes work, handbrake, windscreen wash. The sorts of things you use driving a the vehicle.

Monthly is all of the above plus, all other oil checks and engine air filter.

Six months is all above, plus oil changes. And filter changes.

Yearly is all above, plus whatever is due a service interval, the yearly is getting into the big service stuff like changing diff oils and gearbox oils. But again it is down to what equipment you have and what the manufactures recommend as a service interval.

I did have a few around with it all on for tractors, forklifts and 360 excavators. I will have a dig through the paperwork and see if I can find them.

Rich, do you do checklist sheets for puwer to this extent?

I am trying to get the Arb Assoc to do a course related to puwer, loler, coshh, all three in one day. Teaching the history behind it all and how it should be collated etc. Do you think there would be a demand for this?

To be done in one day it would need to be speed briefed, but think it would benefit some people, me personally in that category.

I have recently had a couple of bulbs go on my two vehicles and it made me realise that as I am busier with other aspects of the company etc these small things are going unnoticed. A neighbour just said to me 'still not fixed that bulb yet then, thats been gone for two weeks now' :thumbdown:

Does anybody have a good daily/weekly/monthly checklist template that they wouldnt mind putting up for use by other arb companies.

I am not mechanically minded and although I think that I know what to check, the trainee has little mechanical maintenance knowledge. Having searched the web, many of the sites talk about checking transmission levels and other details that go beyond what i think I am looking for.

I am thinking that this isnt a bad habit to get into, and was thinking of giving the trainee some responsibilities in this aspect.

I would also consider getting the Arboricultural Association to put something up on the website under help for arborists, so if this is not a problem and you do not mind your template being used by other companies then please feel free to assist.

I have done a table of things, but what I have done is embarrassingly naive....I think.

No need to re invent the wheel

The condition of the vehicle is the responsibility of the driver

Driver's Daily Vehicle Check Defect Book