Will the friction hitch become extinct?

holdatcharlie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think like everything its still best to learn the basic's as you never know then urll need it

Agreed.

Whilst I don't climb and don't aspire to either, surely it makes sense to be able to climb on as basic set up as possible before going mad for shiny bits?

What would happen if your mechanical device unexpectdly broke/stopped working/got damaged etc during the course of the day and you were useless on prussics etc?

Some of the best climbing I've seen first hand has been on both ends of the rope and using prussics - perhaps a little slower round the tree but usually making much less cuts than someone using jangly shiny gear so faster anyway. I realise that's a sweeping generalisation but that' what I've seen so far.

hitch and hitch cord will never die, theres just to many people that use that type of system, i always run two systems when i was using Ddrt, but now im using srt ive found my fondness for the hitch again where as it always used to be a lockjack. gadgets are great tools but the hitch is so simple and reliable you cant help but love it:thumbup1:

Agreed.

Whilst I don't climb and don't aspire to either, surely it makes sense to be able to climb on as basic set up as possible before going mad for shiny bits?

What would happen if your mechanical device unexpectdly broke/stopped working/got damaged etc during the course of the day and you were useless on prussics etc?

Some of the best climbing I've seen first hand has been on both ends of the rope and using prussics - perhaps a little slower round the tree but usually making much less cuts than someone using jangly shiny gear so faster anyway. I realise that's a sweeping generalisation but that' what I've seen so far.

It's a similar situation with things like satnav. When they first became available to the masses for sailing, many people came unstuck as they put to sea without knowing the basics of navigation let alone being able to use a sextant or recording their EP.

They're great tools and knowing how to function without them is vitally important.

They still teach and assess the 3 knot system. I like the idea of the zig zag but I don't think the hitch cord will be replaced. On its own its versatile and put it together with a pulley either hitch climber or something similar and it becomes even more useable in different situations.

So yes the zigzag is a good idea but its a mechanical version of something that already works.

And what happens when the links get worn out? I'm sure the most expensive cord is cheaper than a new zigzag or even a new part if they do that*I don't know if they do