Having a go at pruning fruit trees - anyone interested?

agg221

fruit tree pruning is like a dark art there are alot to people round here that dont no how to prune them, they try and make a mess of it

and the best one was when 2 tree surgeons reccommend dad

dad taught me

and im not being big headed his eyes are like hark eyes to fruiting bud

i find pruning fruit harded than doing a good reduction

plumbs are a big no no

talking to wolfman about this the other day (FUNNY)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RHS do short day courses as an introduction to fruit tree pruning at a lot of the colleges around where I am, not hugely comprehensive but a very good place to learn the basics from people with a LOT of experience. Just a thought for those who would like to learn the basics.

I've spoken to Mum and she's happy, so we're on.

I was thinking of the 9th or 10th Feb - weather should, hopefully, have warmed up a bit by then, although if there's a preference for a weekday then any day the week after would be OK as I'm on holiday then. I'm not tied to any particular dates, so if a different weekend around that time would suit a majority it could be moved.

In answer to a couple of the questions raised - location is outside the M25, and hence well outside the restricted zone. The nearest station is Longfield - I'll let people know directions by PM.

It will help if people bring their own tools. I've always done it entirely by hand so secateurs, loppers and silky. There are a few bigger bits (up to about 8") which may need to come off, and would justify a chainsaw if you feel so inclined. The smaller trees are accessible wholly from the ground, or a stepladder (I have a couple, but if you have a preference for your own, particularly one of the stable, wide ones, feel free). I've always done the bigger trees (up to about 20') from ladders, which is traditional, but if you prefer to try climbing them then feel free to bring appropriate gear, although be aware most work is out near the tips and the aim is to leave branches well furnished along their length, so this may be tricky.

I think I can prevail on Mum and my wife to provide tea and coffee:001_smile:

Alec