Husqvarna battery top handle in stock

Jonesie

Very tempted.

Converter charging spare battery in van.

Nice and quiet wins the day every time. No fumes. No need for climber to wear ear defenders. As Rich said it's also about power as most electric saws disappoint. No, I'll rephrase that. ALL electric saws disappoint.

We did a silky reduction recently and it was a joy to be on site ... until the chipper started up that is.

When they gonna bring out a battery chipper:thumbup:

Battery groundie?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very tempted.

Converter charging spare battery in van.

Nice and quiet wins the day every time. No fumes. No need for climber to wear ear defenders. As Rich said it's also about power as most electric saws disappoint. No, I'll rephrase that. ALL electric saws disappoint.

We did a silky reduction recently and it was a joy to be on site ... until the chipper started up that is.

When they gonna bring out a battery chipper:thumbup:

Battery groundie?

I run on hv cables mate... Just throw a chain and wires up one. Plug me in and watch me go :thumbup:

Power is a big part of any top handle. Hence why everyone loves a modded 200t and doesn't enjoy the 201t.

Battery saws have there place.

Would the 12v charger make much difference. Surely the charge time is too long even with the converter. Plus then you have the fuel bill from the van having to be running so not to drain the battery?

IIRC the chain speed was very close to the petrol model, well on top power button anyway. I can see battery saws only getting better nd better. The technology in batteries is far better now than a Few years back. Look at phone batteries as an example, a smart development would be to utilise a very common phone battery system, which would be quickly interchangeable and widely available, with current charging systems. I don't think batteries are any more environmentally friendly, if you have to charge it from the lighter socket, it burns fuel to do so, or at home it's using fossil fuels, or nuclear power!

IIRC the chain speed was very close to the petrol model, well on top power button anyway. I can see battery saws only getting better nd better. The technology in batteries is far better now than a Few years back. Look at phone batteries as an example, a smart development would be to utilise a very common phone battery system, which would be quickly interchangeable and widely available, with current charging systems. I don't think batteries are any more environmentally friendly, if you have to charge it from the lighter socket, it burns fuel to do so, or at home it's using fossil fuels, or nuclear power!

Batteries will get better and better, but as you mention, there are issues.

They are actually 'greener' than fossil fuels in principle, as although they are using electrical power, this can in theory be generated either at higher efficiency (due to scale of operation at a grid scale power station and not having other constraints such as portability) or from renewable sources.

The lack of ecological credentials comes, at the moment, more from the materials they are made from. Lithium ion (or lithium polymer) batteries contain highly toxic materials which are difficult to mine in the first place, use a huge amount of energy to convert due to the low ore concentration and are currently very difficult to recycle. Other cell types (such as nickel-cadmium or lead-acid) are easier to recycle, and although they contain toxic heavy metals this isn't an issue in use, as they're contained. They don't have the power density though, so you need a bigger, heavier battery. Lithium type batteries also need a good management system, otherwise they can rapidly overheat (see recent problems with the Boeing Dreamliner).

The difficulty with a common approach to batteries is that to get the best power to weight you want to minimise the weight of packaging. If you work to a lowest common denominator, say a phone, you would add a lot of extra packaging space and weight to a battery with enough power to run a chainsaw.

I think it's highly likely to be the way things go though - I would look very seriously at a small backhandle saw with a lithium-ion battery. Something equivalent to a Stihl 026. I can imagine it would be very popular for firewooding in sensitive areas.

Alec