Just a warning .......

pward

IMO if your a subby/freelance you ve gotta be nuts not to have personal insurance,mine costs about £20 a month, but peace of mind is priceless

what do you get in the event of an accident??

loss of earnings?, medical bills paid??

really should sort this myself.

thanks carl.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the "crushed hand" thenresulted in amputation due to the severity of the injury, then I would expect a claim against EL ins. If the "crushed hand" was a result of a bit of a nasty nip and a blood blister and a broken finger nail, then claim on your own personal accident insurance.

I've just been talking to some electrical engineers, they refuse to do anything now that "may" infringe on their personal safety at work, anything includes walking in wintry conditions, working in a cold environment, carrying out any duty they are not trained for, even if they have been trained in the past but it has expired and the company hasn't refreshed them. They tactically try to spend as much time as possible on refresher training to avoid working. And the company has to bow to their needs, for fear of getting sued. This state of affairs is ridiculous, no wonder the country is on it's knees. :001_rolleyes:

the accident was a few years ago.. he has to were a brace around his hand to stop his thumb moving partly when climbing now.

I stand corrected, I've just found an example of a case very similar, the companies EL should possibly have paid out in your mates case Ed

"A self-employed contractor was working exclusively for the insured business. While at work he jammed his hand in between a lintel and a metal bar, causing a serious laceration.

What did the insurer cover?

The insurer paid out damages to the contractor under the employers' liability cover at a cost of £49,990."

another example is that of illnesses picked up contracted through working for a company, ie asbestosis, or I suppose even Weils disease or Limes disease.

I stand corrected, I've just found an example of a case very similar, the companies EL should possibly have paid out in your mates case Ed

"A self-employed contractor was working exclusively for the insured business. While at work he jammed his hand in between a lintel and a metal bar, causing a serious laceration.

What did the insurer cover?

The insurer paid out damages to the contractor under the employers' liability cover at a cost of £49,990."

another example is that of illnesses picked up contracted through working for a company, ie asbestosis, or I suppose even Weils disease or Limes disease.

the firm wasnt insured,, mate didnt get a sausage.

I cut my arm- major lasceration, whilst working for a company that;

Said they had EL & PLI insurance - WRONG

Had 1st Aid & Arial rescue tickets - WRONG

My fault - I did not check

Still sucks monkey nuts though doesn't it. I suppose you'd have a case for a back claim though, you can if it's an illness, and if you're suffering any form of disability or motor injuries that are ongoing. Probably worth going to CAB and asking anyway. :001_smile:

If the "crushed hand" thenresulted in amputation due to the severity of the injury, then I would expect a claim against EL ins. If the "crushed hand" was a result of a bit of a nasty nip and a blood blister and a broken finger nail, then claim on your own personal accident insurance.

I've just been talking to some electrical engineers, they refuse to do anything now that "may" infringe on their personal safety at work, anything includes walking in wintry conditions, working in a cold environment, carrying out any duty they are not trained for, even if they have been trained in the past but it has expired and the company hasn't refreshed them. They tactically try to spend as much time as possible on refresher training to avoid working. And the company has to bow to their needs, for fear of getting sued. This state of affairs is ridiculous, no wonder the country is on it's knees. :001_rolleyes:

Absolutely agree andy. The way some companies run now (mostly larger ones) is totally ludicrous.

Yes but we all know electricians are prima donnas don't we.:thumbup1: