Class........whats it mean these days???

skyhuck

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class used to be pretty clear cut, but these days it seem very confused :confused1:

Can the unemployed really be working class, even if they have never worked???

I think I'm working class, but to be honest my wife and children are probably nearer to middle class.

Has it lost all meaning know or does "class" still have significance today????

on what grounds do you base that your kin are middle class, thru breeding or assetts & wealth ??,ie owning property & land etc ?

Those of us on the tools are Class C2 or D class. Long term unemployed and currently unemployed are E class. Owners and higher level managers are C1. A book You should all read is CHAVS The demonization of the working class by Owen Jones.

Thatcher hoodwinked a massive part of the working class to believe they had become middle class by buying their homes. In so doing crippling the working classes ability to fight. We now have Chavs, lower middle, middle middle, upper middle classes and of course the untouchables at the top. If You still get a wage for busting Your Balls and someone else takes the Lions share Your Working class, Like me Brothers and Sisters.

Those of us on the tools are Class C2 or D class. Long term unemployed and currently unemployed are E class. Owners and higher level managers are C1. A book You should all read is CHAVS The demonization of the working class by Owen Jones.

Thatcher hoodwinked a massive part of the working class to believe they had become middle class by buying their homes. In so doing crippling the working classes ability to fight. We now have Chavs, lower middle, middle middle, upper middle classes and of course the untouchables at the top. If You still get a wage for busting Your Balls and someone else takes the Lions share Your Working class, Like me Brothers and Sisters.

I don't think that's the same as class though, unless class has a new meaning these days (which it may well have). Class (to me at least) is related to an obsolete way of defining people's position in society, largely determined by birth and something that can't really be changed throughout one's life.

There will always be divisions in society as some people will be wealthy, others less so. Some people will behave in an anti-social manner, some won't. I don't see this as being the same as class.

There are plenty of incredibly wealthy people, pulling all sorts of strings - influencing the press and politicians, manipulating the way we think and so on - who would probably never be described as upper class, yet they exhibit many of the characteristics of, say, the Victorian understanding of the term.

I agree. Wealth can't buy class. Equally, having class does not mean you're wealthy.

A position in the 'class system' is something that is assumed by people who think they deserve a position.

A person is either classy or not and I think class/style is a naturally occurring phenomenon, not something that can be bought.

Those that assume class by displaying expensive cars and clothes, in most cases only display vulgarity.

spot on:thumbup1: