Arbtalk Fat Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have put on another stone since giving up cutting logs a few months ago. So now 6ft 4 and 18 stone with clothes on. I have bought a used concept 2 rowing machine for christmas. New they are about £1200 but bought a late one for £600 they can be connected to the internet and race against others so we could have an arb talk rowing club. I went for the indoor rower due to the crap weather we get now its to easy to stop the cycling routine when its pissing with rain. I killed my knees when a teenager long distance cycling so dont want to run or cycle too much again. I have been doing about 1/2 hr every other day 6500 meters which is supposed to burn 400 calories. :elefant:

See, I'm the same height as you and only 16.5 stone, positively skinny :thumbup:

I think it's too easy to get hung up on weight issues, either too big or too small, not muscular enough or too muscular. I watched some programme where a body builder was winning trophies for his physique, but was unhappy because it wasn't "right" for him.

I think it's far more important to have physical fitness over fretting about yor weight, you can be larger and fit, skinny and unfit. If you have any concerns about being what you see as over weight, see your GP for a medical check and proper advice, get help that suits you. Make sure you have no underlying issues that can cause weight loss, or gain. Being more aware a year or so ago might have saved me a world of trouble.

well Im with TCD..I am 15st 9lb and have a beer gut,,funny enough I like a beer or two, but would like to get down too 14st as a realistic target, so from 1st jan am cutting the beer totally out,also the crap I eat every time we hit the garage for fuel, and am going to concentrate harder in the yard getting next yrs logs ready, with a couple of trips to the gym a week to start with,,, might get a rower steve so will keep you posted,,

Trouble is, with the best intentions, few people stick at these fads, be it diets, rowing machines, kettle bells or anything else.

Personally, I have a dietician working on what's best for me, and my job. I have stated that I need to eat foods that give me plenty of energy, problem being I can no longer absorb the goodness from my food, so it's more of a management plan to get the best from my system. I have high calorie shakes to boost me, isotonics to keep salt and potassium levels up, but the downside is a bit of weight gain. Every time I see my dietician, the levels are changed, the advice is altered, it's never set in stone.

I have put on another stone since giving up cutting logs a few months ago. So now 6ft 4 and 18 stone with clothes on. I have bought a used concept 2 rowing machine for christmas. New they are about £1200 but bought a late one for £600 they can be connected to the internet and race against others so we could have an arb talk rowing club. I went for the indoor rower due to the crap weather we get now its to easy to stop the cycling routine when its pissing with rain. I killed my knees when a teenager long distance cycling so dont want to run or cycle too much again. I have been doing about 1/2 hr every other day 6500 meters which is supposed to burn 400 calories. :elefant:

I'm only an inch taller than you and at least a couple of stone heavier. I am overweight but the bulk of my weight is muscle mass, which weighs more than fat and so makes a nonsense of BMI. I am steadily losing body fat by controlling my eating which used to be grabbing food when I could. I now have more structured break times at work which has led to me eating less throughout the day as well as eating less red meat at home. No conscious effort is involved, it's just a by-product of the way my life has changed. :001_smile:

I started this 5+2 diet about three months ago. I have lost one and half stone (14 1/2 down to 13 stone). I am aiming for 12 1/2 by easter and 12 by summer.

For two days a week, I eat only 500-600 calories. Usually find bulky, filling and low calorie food but the remaining 5 days, I eat whatever I like; cake, sweets, you name it and I don't excersise, or not very much. What is interesting is that you (or I don't) over-eat on my non fasting days. In fact I actually eat less than I did before starting the regime.

Its all about repairing your body cells and staving off high blood pressure, cancers, alzheimer's and cholesterol but the side effect is weight loss.

For those who say they are happy being fat, then good luck to you but for most overweight people, you will be more prone to heart attack, stroke and a whole bunch of cancers. As they say; if you want to lose weight then less calories in and more calories out.

I'm doing exactly the same and have had the same results :thumbup1:

See, I'm the same height as you and only 16.5 stone, positively skinny :thumbup:

I think it's too easy to get hung up on weight issues, either too big or too small, not muscular enough or too muscular. I watched some programme where a body builder was winning trophies for his physique, but was unhappy because it wasn't "right" for him.

I think it's far more important to have physical fitness over fretting about yor weight, you can be larger and fit, skinny and unfit. If you have any concerns about being what you see as over weight, see your GP for a medical check and proper advice, get help that suits you. Make sure you have no underlying issues that can cause weight loss, or gain. Being more aware a year or so ago might have saved me a world of trouble.

I went to the docs a year or so ago about something unrelated to weight and got the third degree about taking more exercise. My cholesterol apparently is 6 and my gut is flab not muscle. I dont feel obese but feel better to do something about it now than wait for it to get worse. I have more time now the economy has slowed up. Good time to take things easy on the business front I have been flat out for the last 20 years. I left school and went straight into an apprenticeship I have only been out of work for 3 months since I left school in 1985 time for a gap year or ten. :thumbup: