a nice cut for hung trees

dadio

pinched bar???? Hasn't happened in years... control of the saw refers to being able to keep the saw under control when raised near shoulder height..you can feel the cut either opening or closing before it gets pinched... if it starts to close, you can whittle away at the undercut to make sure the bar doesn't pinch..

Is that what happens at 1.03? you'd think after 30 years in the game you'd have the foresight to avoid this scenario, there's a definate lack of control there, like you failed to anticipate what's happening until it's too late

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35JkG9P5deA]big ash leaner - YouTube[/ame]

murph2.jpg.801ad40b1ba0de2a86d907fa5b53fee9.jpg

murph.jpg.823b370937c2dd46ec9929e3fa5a4e59.jpg

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that what happens at 1.03? you'd think after 30 years in the game you'd have the foresight to avoid this scenario, there's a definate lack of control there, like you failed to anticipate what's happening until it's too late

Too late for what... the saw did not get pinched. Cut started to close and I was able to feel it in time.. NO NO.... not too late... it was too early.. too early for the tractor, winch, or dynamite!

Hate to say it,. but you Brits are a bunch of prudes..

Some people appreciate constructive criticism, other think there above it & attract negative comments. Which they ignore of course, ending dialog & pouring a thread into the gutter

I appreciate constructive criticism.... please give me some if you can... haven't heard any in a good while...

I suppose the problem is that these videos purport to be instructional, this is what seems to rattle most peoples cage. I Always watch them and often take a tip or two away (ignoring other things aswell) Other people put great stuff up on here without ramming down our throats how great they are or this is how it's done. They don't need to, it's self evident. Anyway keep posting, debate is good.

Mick

It's not the cuts I have a necessarily have a problem with.. It's the tons of timber that are hanging in the tree and its unpredictability. I personally have had them suddenly go and take a large portion of the tree they are hung up in with them or break up them selfs and you can not run fast enough when they do and some will, I have learnt this lesson not to say I don't do it but I certainly would not advocate it as some sort of tutorial.

Last time I ended up flat on my face and a large limb across my back I realised how lucky I was and made sure I kept the hung up trees for the skidding winch... For me that is what I do.. If I used that cut it spears the bits in the ground and I can't winch them..again There is nothing predictable about cutting under timber hung up... Sorry.

pinched bar???? Hasn't happened in years... control of the saw refers to being able to keep the saw under control when raised near shoulder height.. How much sense does it make to require a 30 year vet to stick to the same rules for saw handling as a newbie?

By leaving a strap up top, it keep the bar from getting pinched during the main cut... you can feel the cut either opening or closing before it gets pinched... if it starts to close, you can whittle away at the undercut to make sure the bar doesn't pinch.. same with releasing the top, if needed..

If it gets pinched anyway... you best have another saw handy

not had a pinched bar in years ??? im not all to sure about that , as for the amount of sense required for a 30 year old vet to stick to that same principle safety rules ans any other chainsaw operative - I would say either the same as a newbie when said veteran is making up his own cuts for dealing with a leaning/windblown tree .

so then say for instance you trap your bar and need to use your other saw to get the tree down can you talk me through where you would make your cut's and the sequence o cuts please ?

Lets be honest if your going to demonstrate a new age method for leaning/windblown trees then we really could do with knowing how to deal with it if it goes wrong don't u think ?? ! So i have got my saw pinched when cutting out through the bottom of the tree and can not free my saw , what do i do next ?

thanks for answering my questions dadio, i may well give the cut a go a some stage although probably not on a log that size to start with!!

keep up the vids, and the after debate is as always amusing.

would you consider a warning at the start of your vid? such as "for trained competent saw users only"

just a thought .

cheers carl