Show us your fencing!!

Matthew Storrs

Also has anyone been using the clipex fencing, I did my first bit a couple of weeks ago and its pretty good. We did 240m with just hand tools, there were two of us, started after 9 and we were done by 3. It was one run so pretty easy but still goes up quite fast. I think on really bendy runs the cost of strainers can kill it but on decent straight ish runs I can do it supply and erect for under a £5er/metre + vat. A lot of sheep farmers who rent ground like it as when their tenancy ceases they can pull it out and take it with them.

Agreed the gripple is a mighty fine invention, I went back to a job the other day which I did 4 years ago it was only 100m but I was a bit dissapointed to find the gripples had lost a bit of tension, its just a case of tightening them back up and tieing off the tails but still.

How much are the Gpaks to buy?

The last box I bought they were £4.50 each for the 4mm ones with a large gripple. Probably being lazy but so much easier than faffing around with ht wire on a spool and nearly poking your eyes out frequently. I am convinced the labour saving more than compensates for the extra cost!

Now I generally use a quick fencer, strain one end and tie of the other. Stretches where we use clamps well pull in the middle and join with crimps.

Found the cheaper brands of wire bad for loose line wires. Most common cause of this though is when the net is tied of some are tighter then the others or the net is tied of at a differant angle to the ground if that makes sense?

Used a few g paks and liked them, trouble is it soon adds up and puts few pence on per meter and we all know what farmers are like. I use t clips on horse netting and think there great!! Saves a lot of time but yet to see long term effects. Trouble is every time you tie of its an extra £6!

Aaron

I have found the slack wires quite a problem if using cheap netting and you can tell as soon as you unroll it if its a bad one, if this is the case I just send it back. I wont use it now unless the customer (farmers!) supply it! I will use x fence where possible as by far the best netting to work with imo and pulls up lovely! If you use the 8-80-22 lamb friendly it is much the same price as another good quality ht net.

I have to ask why everyone works the box strainers I much prefer the stayed one's, and the tieing the support post to the strainer is a no no,

Sheep are notoriously bad for snapping the wire, also if using a post to support stay, and the support post is broken that totally compromises, the whole fence,

I dig my stays in and use a wedge as a thrust plate , the further you drive it the tighter it gets,

I also cut a notch in the strainers rather than nail the stay to strainer.

I find that box strainers generally work everywhere. If its boggy and wet then digging the strut in and using a wedge imo doesn't always work if the soil is not good enough to support it, then when its hard you can sometimes barely get your wedge in far without splitting it. I quite often use diagonal braces but will drive a full length post in at an angle like you would a wedge and wire it back to the bottom of the strainer so it cant be pushed through the ground. Also I mortice the struts in, cutting a notch is no good as the cattle can knock them out, don't use any nails at all. The best bit is though, you don't have to dig a hole evertime you want to strut! and as for sheep breaking two strands of 3.15ht wire, I would like to see them try!