Show us your fencing!!

Matthew Storrs

Well that was only including one gate and we had to leave 3 bays and another gate out so that the lorrys could get in! the site was levelled off with a laser so it was pretty flat so all the posts went in the same height. This is the only time I really use it for fencing, although it is quite handy when you are doing dug in double gates as it makes it a lot easier. For most field post and rail it wouldn't be suitable as you have to follow the contours of the ground as you know. I use my stick and eye in from where the next post is going and work back from there if that makes sense.

• 3 months later...

Nice work there Aaron, just out of interest are you using medium gripple plus's on those box strainers? I did a load once with medium gripples and 3.15ht and nearly half of the box strainers failed because it pulled the gripples apart. I will only use jumbos now or put two mediums in line. Having said that I now mainly allow for g-pac 4's in the price as they are so quick and easy and never had one break.....yet!

You do have to be a bit careful with gripples as they are far from 100% reliable.

Nice work there Aaron, just out of interest are you using medium gripple plus's on those box strainers? I did a load once with medium gripples and 3.15ht and nearly half of the box strainers failed because it pulled the gripples apart. I will only use jumbos now or put two mediums in line. Having said that I now mainly allow for g-pac 4's in the price as they are so quick and easy and never had one break.....yet!

You do have to be a bit careful with gripples as they are far from 100% reliable.

I don't use gripples at all on box strainers if I can help it, for this reason, I use a double loop of hi tensile wire and tension and join using the Hayes wire strainers, there is a bit of a technique to make sure you tie the knot without losing any tension in the retaining wire but if never had a strainer fail this way, but I have with gripples. Most contractors round here only use the gripples to join and tension netting and then tie the tails off so the gripples can't slip- but then you cant't retension them...

Nice work Aaron by the way- pretty similar style to mine.

Edited by Matthew Storrs

Do you use gripples on barbed wire? Also have u ever had problems with gripples slipping on high tensile wire

Cheers

I use medium gripples but twist of both tags to prevent the wire slackening if the gripple fails. I double up with 2.5 wire loop.

As for joining i don't use gripples, use crimps instead.

Aaron

Do you tension the netting at one end or pull in the middle and join with crimps? If never really used crimps for this as i thought there is no room for adjusting individual strands if some are tighter than others?

I have heard of the water and freezing issue but not sure if ive had this problem. They can slip on ht wire as it is that much harder and more difficult for the ceramic wheel to grip, this is why the g-pacs are good as I find it grips the wire rope well. I have been on to gripple several times about the problems I have had but the convenience still seems to outweigh the negatives!