Lolering your own gear

mikecotterill

Next to me, its what I do:thumbup1:

Don't take this the wrong way, but if I'am hanging on a rope/harness I would not trust it if someone had inspected it with out checking it myself and if there's a fault bin it, all the right paper work dosn't mean it safe to use. Like a MOT on a car all right 1 day not the next because a light dosn;t work.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't take this the wrong way, but if I'am hanging on a rope/harness I would not trust it if someone had inspected it with out checking it myself and if there's a fault bin it, all the right paper work dosn't mean it safe to use. Like a MOT on a car all right 1 day not the next because a light dosn;t work.

Thas perfectly right, it is your responsibility to check your equipment eveytime you use it and if you feel something is not right then you dont use it.

But the HSE state that your climbing kit which you use for work should be inspected and the findings recorded/action taken every six months (climbing kit) and 12 months lowering kit etc by a qualified/tained LOLER inspector who knows what he is looking for, and to what condition it can be deemed safe.

I read that metal fatigue will be microscopic before it becomes visible as small cracks.

The last inspector I saw only used his eyes.

Also, I LOLER my rope every time I put my hands on it which is a lot. (he was passing up to 10% damage to ropes, which I wouldn't pass for myself or climb on)

Slightly off track but I carry out up to 200 RA's a day (for every cut, amongst other things) It's just in my head and not written down.

There is that internet thing leading you astray again, you assume it’s only about metalwork, it’s not. Cycles to failure is far more significant in the "soft" items we use particularly in lowering.

Your LOLERing of your rope is part of what should be a pre use inspection

Well I dont take that the wrong way because thats the right way.

As a user you (under LOLER) are supposed to perform a pre use check on your kit

There is that internet thing leading you astray again, you assume it’s only about metalwork, it’s not. Cycles to failure is far more significant in the "soft" items we use particularly in lowering.

Your LOLERing of your rope is part of what should be a pre use inspection

Don't mean to argue mate but just because I used one example in my first post does not mean that I assume it's the only piece of kit that requires attention.

Your first response suggested that my example was not correct, yet this response suggests that it was ok so you've moved the goalpost.

Anyway let's not argue.

I chipped in because I'm interested to learn as I think this could be a good thread.

But the HSE state that your climbing kit which you use for work should be inspected and the findings recorded/action taken every six months (climbing kit) and 12 months lowering kit etc by a qualified/tained LOLER inspector who knows what he is looking for, and to what condition it can be deemed safe.

This is one of my questions though, the hse don't state qualified or trained Loler inspector.

it comes down to the old story, jobs for the boys......what did everyone do before LOLER,PUWER, CS certs were all pushed by HSE,(all of which have no legal enforcement by the way, check into if you like), if you are climbing, you check all your kit before you lift a foot off the ground, you know your kit inside out, and unlike an outsider, you know how many hits on the fatigue cycle any part of your kit has taken. unless someone is carrying out NDT testing on kit they wont be any wiser than the user, if you choose to check and sign off your own kit, whos going to say sorry but that is against the law, you cant do that, what law?. as long as we accept everything that certain bodies say they will keep trying to screw more cash out of us for jumped up requirments that they dream up

Don't mean to argue mate but just because I used one example in my first post does not mean that I assume it's the only piece of kit that requires attention.

Your first response suggested that my example was not correct, yet this response suggests that it was ok so you've moved the goalpost.

Anyway let's not argue.

I chipped in because I'm interested to learn as I think this could be a good thread.

Sorry.......... the point I was trying to make was that the inspector wont be bringing anything to examine for microscopic cracks, a biner would be inspected for proper operation and visual defects.

In any LOLER thread these is always an element from climbers of “I inspect my own kit anyway”, and that’s a good thing as well as a LOLER requirement but as an industry we tend to be tree focused and overlook the fact that we are just a tiny fraction of what the LOLER regs cover, your 6 or 12 monthly inspection is a requirement of the wider regulations that are supposed to keep everyone safe across all industries.

Anyhow chippers come under PUWER not LOLER:laugh1:

it comes down to the old story, jobs for the boys......what did everyone do before LOLER,PUWER, CS certs were all pushed by HSE,(all of which have no legal enforcement by the way, check into if you like), if you are climbing, you check all your kit before you lift a foot off the ground, you know your kit inside out, and unlike an outsider, you know how many hits on the fatigue cycle any part of your kit has taken. unless someone is carrying out NDT testing on kit they wont be any wiser than the user, if you choose to check and sign off your own kit, whos going to say sorry but that is against the law, you cant do that, what law?. as long as we accept everything that certain bodies say they will keep trying to screw more cash out of us for jumped up requirments that they dream up

LOLER and PUWER are UK law by act of parlemant (statue Law)