Lolering your own gear

mikecotterill

Can somebody clarify something about this please, can an employer Loler inspect there own gear? I was always under the I pressing the couldn't but I've been shown hse documents today that say any competent person can inspect your equipment, it gives the following definition as a competent person...

"A competent person is someone who has appropriate practical and theoretical knowledge and experience of the equipment for which they act as 'competent person'. This knowledge and experience can help them detect defects / weaknesses and assess whether they will affect the continued safe use of the equipment.

The competent person must be sufficiently independent and impartial to make objective decisions. However, this should not be the same person who performs routine servicing / maintenance, as they would be responsible for assessing their own work.

A competent person may be employed by a separate company or selected by an employer from their own staff. They should have genuine competence, authority and independence to ensure examinations are properly carried out, so that any recommendations that arise can be made without fear or favour."

So it also doesn't actually state in there that the competent person needs a certificate/qualification just they need to have the "appropriate practical and theoretical knwledge". So a climber could fit this description?

So why are people paying for gear to be loler'd??

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are qualified & experienced,then yes, but you must prove that your decisions are without "fear or "favour" I.e. you must prove you are impartial & there is no motive (financial for example) effecting your judgement

Qualified in what though? Loler inspecting or just using the gear?

What exactly do they teach on a Loler inspection course that the average climber wouldn't know?

Qualified in what though? Loler inspecting or just using the gear?

What exactly do they teach on a Loler inspection course that the average climber wouldn't know?

OK Mike here is a little knowlwdge assesment for you

Q. What do you understand by the term Cycles to Failure

Its a serious question, nothing about getting on a bike

OK Mike here is a little knowlwdge assesment for you

Q. What do you understand by the term Cycles to Failure

Its a serious question, nothing about getting on a bike

I'd have to guess mate but it's presumably something to do with fatigue failure? Or how many times say a loads been dropped on a krab?

I should add the reason I've asked the question, our boss at work has decided that he's going to do the inspections from now on, the main thing that worries me is that as treequip is probably aiming at, he can't know everything about inspecting, I'm sure he's impartial and will do the job as well as he can, but I'm wary about it