Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

1 minute ago, jrose said:
On 31/12/2018 at 22:17, peds said:
All right, another quick question. I'm brushing up on my knot theory at the moment, and I've stumbled upon this little treat:
tengu2photo.gif.9c909310aec968f4802093fade072813.gif

Obviously, it's a self-tending Blake's hitch. My question is this... considering how many times you'd need to re-tie the entire knot to make progress, would it not be quicker to just... wait for the tree to fall down? 

Read more  

The only time I can see that being of any use at all is when you've forgotten all your micro pulleys and other bits of kit, and have to do a 90' pull up a rope in mid air...

I would rather drive home and pick them up, than use that system. Spiderjack/ Zigzag and age makes you lazy:)

5 minutes ago, jrose said:
On 31/12/2018 at 22:17, peds said:
All right, another quick question. I'm brushing up on my knot theory at the moment, and I've stumbled upon this little treat:
tengu2photo.gif.9c909310aec968f4802093fade072813.gif

Obviously, it's a self-tending Blake's hitch. My question is this... considering how many times you'd need to re-tie the entire knot to make progress, would it not be quicker to just... wait for the tree to fall down? 

The only time I can see that being of any use at all is when you've forgotten all your micro pulleys and other bits of kit, and have to do a 90' pull up a rope in mid air...

Well if you've got that far to go and you're doing that, you might as well leave another few feet of tail on the second Blake's and tie a third one below the first, with a foot loop coming out the bottom of it. 

In for a penny, in for a pound. 

Well if you've got that far to go and you're doing that, you might as well leave another few feet of tail on the second Blake's and tie a third one below the first, with a foot loop coming out the bottom of it. 
In for a penny, in for a pound. 
To be honest, if I was in that position I'd be sorely tempted just to tie other end of the line off to the track chipper or van, and get pulled up using the Blake's as a failsafe!

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I'm hugely grateful for all of the advice I've been given here so far, so I've got another question.

How can you stop the public from wanting to kill themselves?

I mean, I know you can put out cones and signs, tape off sections of footpath, lock gates, put up barriers... station groundsmen all over the place to wave people off... keep an eye open and try to not drop any timber on their lives... I know all that.

But how do you make them NOT want to kill themselves? How do you help that girl who just ducked under your red and white striped pole between two cones and is still walking directly towards the sound of chainsaws? Does she need a hug?

Is she beyond help?

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, peds said:

Okay, I'm hugely grateful for all of the advice I've been given here so far, so I've got another question.

I mean, I know you can put out cones and signs, tape off sections of footpath, lock gates, put up barriers... station groundsmen all over the place to wave people off... keep an eye open and try to not drop any timber on their lives... I know all that.

But how do you make them NOT want to kill themselves? How do you help that girl who just ducked under your red and white striped pole between two cones and is still walking directly towards the sound of chainsaws? Does she need a hug?

Is she beyond help?

setting up a good safety system, cones tape etc

make sure you have an A1 groundie who is on the case and has eyes in the back of their head, maintain good communication with the groundie, intergrated comm sets are brilliant for road side jobs.

a real person stoping people is worth a whole vans worth of cones and signs!

carl

• Like 2

18 hours ago, peds said:

Is she beyond help?

Not so long ago we had a few car parking spaces cordoned off. Cones, tape between them and even keep out signs..

Along comes missus I can't take it anymore and drives into one of the spaces, catching the tape and pulling three cones with her, she proceeded to get out of her half jeep non four wheel drive car thingy, look at the tape on the ground and simply step over it and head along the footpath, still within  the cordoned off area..

I calmly walked over to her and said, "I don't mind you parking there in the slightest, but I can assure you that if you leave your car there it will not be the same shape as it is now upon your return" all i got was a wha'?!

I then pointed to a decidedly dodgy looking lime and said " in five minutes I'm cutting that down and its going to be landing right there" pointing to her jeepcar non four wheel drive thingy. (A complete lie, it was being climbed, reduced and lowered in quite small pieces but i doubt she would have understood) a string of ohmygawds, whahammisupposed2dos and general sounds of confusion ensued, to which I suggested she may consider parking in one of the many other available spaces in the area, ideally one which had not been cordoned off for safety reasons..

she managed this with a great deal of huffing and tutting, lessened slightly perhaps by the presence of a 660 with 32 inch bar, which she hadn't noticed when parking either, or the fact there was a chipper, unimog, van, trailer and three people in hi viz ppe inside the area.

To summarise, I don't believe that these persons are so depressed as to desire death by falling limb.. or irate arborist for that matter.. it may be the simple fact that there are those in society who are just fucking thick.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 14/09/2018 at 20:36, J7G7 said:

Thanks for replies guys, I appreciate it and will try a few different cords out. 

On another note but I'm sure and often asked question, how can I feel more comfortable in the tree? I've only been properly climbing a few months and working with guys who have 10+ years experience (and they have been brilliant, helpful and reassuring) just sometimes I feel like a bloody idiot! It really is all just in my head I'm just hoping after a year or 2 i'll be flying around the tree. Did anyone else experience this starting out? 

On 14/09/2018 at 20:36, J7G7 said:

Thanks for replies guys, I appreciate it and will try a few different cords out. 

On another note but I'm sure and often asked question, how can I feel more comfortable in the tree? I've only been properly climbing a few months and working with guys who have 10+ years experience (and they have been brilliant, helpful and reassuring) just sometimes I feel like a bloody idiot! It really is all just in my head I'm just hoping after a year or 2 i'll be flying around the tree. Did anyone else experience this starting out? 

yep, n still do somedays,lol.just calm doon laddie,n take a wee minute.

When on Bristol parks dept.

the trees in streets team had a near miss.

dispite all the ness cordonning

off, the climber up a Lime tree having nearly cut through a med sized limb to free fall, suddenly noticed a pedestrian walking right into the target area ! All he could do is grab the limb at the last moment delaying its fall by a secound or 2 ! saved the person being hit, but ripped several arm and stomach muscles. half asleep grounde ? Inadequate barrier don’t know was’nt there! But we can all learn from others mistakes !

my pet hate is moter cyclists ther like bleeden lemmings ! Think they can out race a falling tree ! My advice is make it physically impossible to chance it ! Then they have to stop !

• Like 3