Frozen Ropes

graw

There is not much you can do about Cordage freezing.Even with dry Ropes,the snow sticks to them,your hitch melts the snow and it all ices up.

I was using a Rope Wrench yesterday above a VT on a Single line and it was hopeless.The frozen Rope wouldn´t bend through the Wrench.

It would be great if the Petzel Zig zig gripped and didn´t ice up so much?Time will tell.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Second rope gets wet,same boat,im hearing the mech devices,but ropes still frozen and very kinky!

Place im in in Sweden it pretty much rains most days so dry ropes dont exist,then the cold!

Plus karabiners freeze solid so dont think the devices would help much/

I thought most accommodations in Sweden had a "Torkskåp" that would not only allow you to dry your clothes, but also all your ropes and gear overnight - and leave it nice and warm. It operates with forced airflow with moderate temperatures (20 - 40 C).

I built one myself using an old metal locker with a hole cut in the base and top, and a small industrial heater placed on top forcing warm air (thermostat) through top-to-bottom. Dries everything (boots, clothes, ropes, the lot) within an hour or two much more gently than a tumble drier.

I thought most accommodations in Sweden had a "Torkskåp" that would not only allow you to dry your clothes, but also all your ropes and gear overnight - and leave it nice and warm. It operates with forced airflow with moderate temperatures (20 - 40 C).

I built one myself using an old metal locker with a hole cut in the base and top, and a small industrial heater placed on top forcing warm air (thermostat) through top-to-bottom. Dries everything (boots, clothes, ropes, the lot) within an hour or two much more gently than a tumble drier.

Most of use are subbies out here but get our digs paid for. This means hostels, hotels and anything else which is cheap. Would be nice for some where like that to dry rope instead of stinking my room out on the radiator ha :biggrin:

I'm over in norway. i reckon mechanical devices go better in the cold. my carabiners are a bit of a concern, nz pauls spot sounds lovely might book a holiday there.

Haha hope your joking,I swear im in the arse end of Sweden,Dont know how the mech devices would go when there's frozen lumps in the rope,one of the boys here has a sj and i haven't really seen it out in the cold yet!.

Most of use are subbies out here but get our digs paid for. This means hostels, hotels and anything else which is cheap. Would be nice for some where like that to dry rope instead of stinking my room out on the radiator ha :biggrin:

TO true,digs were getting paid but is all changing on this contract,not good.

-13 this morning. Bout to try my sj out as vt didn't work yesterday. Rope is warm but how long I don't know haha look on arb jobs mate there is few on the at the min. Most English climbers go home for winter I think. Were still here braving it out :biggrin:

I climbed on a VT out there through winter! What do you mean "IT DID'NT WORK?" If it freezes to your rope, use the exhaust on your top-handle to warm it til it moves! You will get a bit of creep on iced up ropes sometimes when trying to work, but i never thought it was that much of a problem. I just used to tighten it everytime before i put my weight in it. I never had a VT "FAIL" completely causing a vertical fall due to iced up rope! Has anyone??

The de-icer for rope would be wonderful, surely there is some way of manufacturing a de-icing product that would not be harmful to ropes!?

What is the coldest temperature any of you have ever climbed in? Just out of interest!!!

Ed

I climbed on a VT out there through winter! What do you mean "IT DID'NT WORK?" If it freezes to your rope, use the exhaust on your top-handle to warm it til it moves! You will get a bit of creep on iced up ropes sometimes when trying to work, but i never thought it was that much of a problem. I just used to tighten it everytime before i put my weight in it. I never had a VT "FAIL" completely causing a vertical fall due to iced up rope! Has anyone??

The de-icer for rope would be wonderful, surely there is some way of manufacturing a de-icing product that would not be harmful to ropes!?

What is the coldest temperature any of you have ever climbed in? Just out of interest!!!

Ed

I have had a VT fail in the rain,3 twists,3 wraps,on a cocoon rope saver,slipped about 10ft,but got my hand on it quick enough, hasn't failed in the ice,i don't think its just the cold that's the problem,i work in Boras,which is apparently the wettest place in Sweden,so ropes are pretty wet most of the time then you get them freeze up, there's fark all you can do but solider on,maybe you had no problems,but other people obviously do,karabiners not opening or closing a big problem at the moment.

Edited by nz paul
spelling