Glyphosate-what you need to know

glyphosate is probably the safest pesticide ever made. Not only to the environment, but also to humans and animals. In the 70's, the roundup reps used to drink a pint of it to prove how safe it is, and there was no ill effects with them. in my opinion, if the product is used safely and correctly this product poses no adverse effect

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glyphosate is probably the safest pesticide ever made. Not only to the environment, but also to humans and animals. In the 70's, the roundup reps used to drink a pint of it to prove how safe it is, and there was no ill effects with them. in my opinion, if the product is used safely and correctly this product poses no adverse effect

I,d say your right and it is safe BUT I,m not so sure I,d go as far as drinking a sip of it let alone a pint to prove a point, What was it "if I live its safe and I,m right,if I die I,m wrong":laugh1:

glyphosate is probably the safest pesticide* ever made. Not only to the environment, but also to humans and animals. In the 70's, the roundup reps used to drink a pint of it to prove how safe it is, and there was no ill effects with them. in my opinion, if the product is used safely and correctly this product poses no adverse effect

*herbicide

I'd be interested to hear. Where did you get this information from?

I doubt the truth of them drinking it, read this;

Data from the California Environmental Protection Agency's Pesticide Illness Surveillance Program, which also tracks other agricultural chemicals, shows that glyphosate-related incidents are some of the most common.[81][82] However, incident counts alone do not take into account the number of people exposed and the severity of symptoms associated with each incident.[82] For example, if hospitalization were used as a measure of the severity of incidents, then glyphosate would be considered relatively safe; over a 13-year period in California, none of the 515 reported hospitalizations were attributed to glyphosate.[82]

Deliberate ingestion of Roundup in quantities ranging from 85 to 200 ml has resulted in death within hours of ingestion, although it has also been ingested in quantities as large as 500 ml with only mild or moderate symptoms.[83] There is a reasonable correlation between the amount of Roundup ingested and the likelihood of serious systemic sequelae or death. Ingestion of >85 ml of the concentrated formulation is likely to cause significant toxicity in adults. Corrosive effects – mouth, throat and epigastric pain and dysphagia – are common. Renal and hepatic impairment are also frequent and usually reflect reduced organ perfusion. Respiratory distress, impaired consciousness, pulmonary edema, infiltration on chest x-ray, shock, arrythmias, renal failure requiring haemodialysis, metabolic acidosis, and hyperkalaemia may occur in severe cases. Bradycardia and ventricular arrhythmias often present prior to death.

Dermal exposure to ready-to-use glyphosate formulations can cause irritation, and photo-contact dermatitis has been occasionally reported. These effects are probably due to the preservative Proxel (benzisothiazolin-3-one). Inhalation is a minor route of exposure, but spray mist may cause oral or nasal discomfort, an unpleasant taste in the mouth, or tingling and irritation in the throat. Eye exposure may lead to mild conjunctivitis. Superficial corneal injury is possible if irrigation is delayed or inadequate.[46]

I've heard it also ... We used to spray young plantations without any protection and whilst recently talking to a chemist he said there are things in it that will destroy your central nervous system ... If that's true I don't know either but a friend offered to spray my allotment with glysophate and I kindly refused.

Farmers throughout the uk spray thousands if not millions of gallons of glyphosate on their fields every year, I also hears that story about drinking it without any last effects on my spraying course years ago, I think it could of started by someone saying "you could drink and it wouldn't harm you", and then the myth started

The LD 50 (lethal dose for 50% of those that drank it) for rats per kg means about 350mls for a human. So I rather doubt that any rep drank a pint as probably 80% of them would die. In reality however its pretty safe stuff (whatever some chemist said).

It's used very widely and injury is very rare.