Confused Recommend me a chainsaw

Figgy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone recommending a 50cc saw for firewooding must have a lot more patience than me :biggrin:

Husqvarna 365 - never going to set the world alight power wise but will pull a bigger bar than something like a stihl 261 or equivalent 50cc saw. Bit agricultural but last well and are pretty robust. Effectively they are a 372 that's detuned a bit. Other on (if they are sill available ) is a husky 359 - pretty much just a detuned 357xp. I've got the Jonsered version of the 359 (so a 2159) and it runs an 18" OK if you're not in a rush.

For grin factor then something like a 560 but TBH it's probably a bit fierce/overkill for what you want.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Another option would be to look for a decent secondhand saw.

The problem you have with buying a new saw is that realistically you will notch up so few engine hours that, relative to someone using the saw several hours a day, you simply won't spot problems for years that they may find in weeks. That means it will be well out of warranty anyway before a low-hours problem shows up.

On the other hand, a used saw will not notch up hours quickly, so you should get years of use out of it relative to someone who is running it day in day out.

Secondhand can be risky if you don't know what you're looking for, but you could ask Spudulike if he's got anything in that he's gone over.

Alec

What about echo chainsaws with a five year warranty.

Would I save much buying second hand from spud,is this the best option for the amount of use ill give it.

I'll be buying the chaps type leg protection and a new visor, already have safety boots.

Training and experience. Company I worked for in past did wharf work so I was using saws regular then but all hired in training was given at the time, I work in heavy industry using all manner of dangerouse power tools so I'm aware of what's involved but I'm no tree surgeon lumberjack.i have a 40cc chainsaw at the moment but its not very good was given it, I'm the type who likes to buy right and it will last hopefully.