What does a m3 of chip weigh?

treepanda

Apart from species the stuff at the bottom of the truck gets compressed so will be more dense.

Maybe someone with a bit of spare time could weigh out a chipped litre of each species.

Multiply by 1000 and thats our weight per c/m (not compressed).

As said above the moisture content will have an impact.

If the problem is overloading you could measure the gap between rear tyres and body at different load levels, getting it weighed at each one then you will have a comprehensive way to monitor the loading.

I use a weighbridge all the time for tipping mashed up with chainsaw stuff (It’s a long story).

I can tell you that an LDV load to the top of the greedy boards weighs approx. 900Kg. This applies to any branch matter from any tree including connies give or take a few kilos.

I forget the number now, but a chipper would chip at least 4 times the volume of branch matter into the same space.

So a …full of chip …to top of greedy boards LDV/Transit must be carrying at least 3.5 to 4 tonne.

I don’t have a figure to answer your question but in terms of overloading you can only carry a load which is ¼ full.

Edit: Even then the groundy has to walk home:001_smile:

Edited by Albedo