the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

Yesterday's job. Got a bit wet. A lime that we were supposed to deadwood at a school. We did all the rest but this one had a shear crack, the roots on the tension side had lifted slightly (you can just see it on the pic). One of the roots had actually torn. Very strong gust?

Did you fell it or piece it down? Looks like the crack had been there some time, was it quite soft in the middle?

Just purely out of interest here.

Could you explain the reason for carrying out a reduction on such a large tree as that?

Only just seen this. Yes the main reason was as per Rich's reply. Basically we have worked on this tree for many years. About three or four years again we thinned the tree to reduce the sail factor as well as deadwooding for safety. The tree continues to thrive and put on a large amount of growth due to good conditions and the fact that there isn't any surrounding competition. The tree owners love the tree and want to preserve it (they've even renamed the house after the tree). The tree was slightly lop sided in the way it had grown and they were looking to have it rebalanced and to achieve an even all round shape. We initially went for another thin to reduce some of the load and decrease sail factor but they were adamant that they wanted it reduced and brought into shape. We therefore did a 15 ~ 20% reduction to rebalance the tree and achieve the shape they wanted. Personally I preferred the way it looked before but they were delighted with the result and ultimately they pay for a service, we supply it - happy days. Without waffling on there is a lot of weight up there and the home owners were concerned with limb failure as they have small children, we looked at other options such as non invasive bracing etc but they opted for the reduction. If it were my tree would I have reduced it? No I wouldn't but that wasn't my decision to make. At the end of the day they were happy with what we did and I am happy with the reduction.

Probably because his boss quoted for it and he was the climber who had the job that day.

Is there any other reason these days?

Pretty much mate but see post above for bit of info but ultimately I gave them a price to either reduce, thin or brace and an explanation and advise for each and they wanted it reduced, as you know mate if you don't do it someone else will!

Did you fell it or piece it down? Looks like the crack had been there some time, was it quite soft in the middle?

Dismantled to a reduced pole, then felled. There was some rot and some discoloration in the center. Multiple fungi present it seemed. Most of the affected wood was quite solid, though some of it was soft.