semi pro saws- any good ones out there?

Matthew Storrs

I already have a fleet of professional huskys for proper tree work, but when im doing stock fencing digger work etc I don't like these saws getting mixed up with digging tools etc so i just want a cheapish £300 saw that Is reliable but I don't mind it being bashed around a bit- keep in the tractor just to cut the odd limb of when im fencing/ditching etc.

Any reccomendation? don't want to spend more then £300 otherwise that defeats the purpose but also don't want a 'hobby' saw either. doesn't have to be husky, what about jonsered/solo etc?

I do have an old 254xp under the bench which could be pressed into service, but will probably need a bit spent on it- mainly carb issues. just though it might be worth getting a new hassle free saw, it will be used quite a bit in practise so I don't want some gutless plasticky rubbish. Just hate seeing my decent saws lying around in the mud when fencing.

Stihl 230 I bought 1 last year great little saw it was just over £300. You could demote 1 of your huskys or buy a good second hand 1 and stick with a make you know well.

I was going to suggest the same. Although part time I've had mine several years and use it way more than anything else. Nothing's ever gone wrong with it that couldn't be deemed fair wear and tear.

Don't take this the wrong way. Just use 1 of your saws you all ready have because it will last longer than any cheap saw you buy and don't chuck them in the mud if it get muddy just clean it there only saws. I never take 1 saw to a job allways 2 if 1 plays up can use the 2nd.

how about a makita, my very first saw was a small makita and it did loads of roddy bashing, firewood etc for years. barely got any tlc and just kept going, not super quick or anything but did job. I moved onto a husky 350 and after 10 yrs of hard work i was feeling a lil rich so sold it on ebay and spent some on a 357. the 350 took tons and tons of abuse and apart from a clutch kept going.

plenty cheap saws out there for that kind of work.

Don't take this the wrong way. Just use 1 of your saws you all ready have because it will last longer than any cheap saw you buy and don't chuck them in the mud if it get muddy just clean it there only saws. I never take 1 saw to a job allways 2 if 1 plays up can use the 2nd.

I know what you mean, But in general any saw I have with me when doing fencing/coutryside work gets a hard time, starting of by rattling around in the pickup with the spades and mattocks then stopping /starting whilst shaping up struts, cut a load of scrub then left on the ground whilst I clear it with the machine. (alway a chance of being run over too!)

I know I could take more care of it, but thats exactly why I wanted a cheapie- so I don't have to!

I'l try and see how much it'll cost to repair my 254xp, failing that, il demote my 357xp and that'll give me a nice excuse to buy a sparkling 550xp to replace it:thumbup1: