More sad news for the brit economy

gensetsteve

It was only a week ago that a large european generator manufacturer Pramac went into liquidation now the biggest european one in Ireland FG Wilson is moving production to China and laying off 1500 people. Where will it end ? we cant all walk round with clip boards going on courses for H&S and making engineers lives unbearable because their wont be any soon. We still manufacture alot of good stuff in the uk but if let it all go it will be ten times harder to bring it back. Im alright jack is the wrong way to look at this, less factories also means less landscaping and tree work . I feel I am often the only one that has seen the decline in manufacturing over the last 20 years as a bad thing. The government stance is they cant see the point when its so cheap to manufacture in China

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Gensetsteve. It's a tragedy in many ways and it won't be lost on other Arbtalkers that Pramac have run 2 bikes on the Moto GP circuit for years.

I suppose they'll be missing from the paddock pretty soon leaving the grid pretty empty. I hope Suzuki really are coming back next season.

Sorry for the derail.

No matter what it is it will always be cheaper to import than home produce products in this country.

The gov will look for the cheapest price. We will look for the cheapest price. Same as doing a job for someone, if your too expensive they will go for the cheaper quote.

It isn't only generators, the car industry we're told is doing well here , but its all owned by johnny foreigners , as are the power generators , premier league football clubs , A neighbour of mine always use to say the best friend of british farmers was a german U-boat it made the government realise that home production was needed , infact essential , just wait till the next disaster to reduce oil production in some far away place and watch the price rocket .!:thumbup:

I agree, but it's not just manufacturing thats going abroad. Before the 1980's British motors were quite common, but now major British owned and built cars are uncommon. According to one source, in the 1950's Britain was the largest exporter of moter vehicles. What has gone wrong????

I agree, but it's not just manufacturing thats going abroad. Before the 1980's British motors were quite common, but now major British owned and built cars are uncommon. According to one source, in the 1950's Britain was the largest exporter of moter vehicles. What has gone wrong????

Everything.

Isn't the world's largest supplier of generators Aggreko, based in Glasgow

They supply the likes of the Bejing, London Olympics and the World Cup with generators etc

very successful company

I worked for Aggreko for 2 years in about 1988. The worlds biggest supplier of Hire generators. They do make their own stuff as its made to a spec not a price. What they assemble is a drop in the ocean compared with Wilson. Aggreko are very successful due to the quality of the sets when they arrive on site.

I feel I am often the only one that has seen the decline in manufacturing over the last 20 years as a bad thing. The government stance is they cant see the point when its so cheap to manufacture in China

Some people warned about globalisation years ago - this interview was from 1994.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PQrz8F0dBI]1. A prophetic interview with Sir James Goldsmith in 1994 Pt1 - YouTube[/ame]

It's worth following the whole series. There are some good comments there, which is unusual for youtube.

It's slightly ironic in that Goldsmith himself, as a "bucaneer financier" and asset stripper, certainly did his bit to destroy jobs in his time.