The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

Thanks for the info guys, really helpful stuff, was thinking the mpg would be a bit better but I guess that's the price you pay for having a decent work truck, are there any common faults/things to look out for with any of the engines/models in particular

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I get way better mpg than that from my 300tdi's but I am pretty steady with them.

The later 300tdi's had some basic electrics (from p reg onwards iirc) linking the injector pump to the EGR via a box under the centre seat but you can just unplug the whole lot and run it without any of it connected without any problems.

Check for chassis rot, the rear crossmember usually rots away on them at some point, as do the outriggers, give the bulkhead and the bottom of the seat box a decent looking at for rot, general places for bulkhead rot is in the footwells and around the bottom of the screen corners and door pillars, if buying a utility company spec one with the over plated chassis check for rust on the inner chassis underneath where the drain holes are, they have a habit of rotting between the plating and you cant see it very well.

300 tdi's are pretty bulletproof imo but as said they do lack power especially when towing hard, am currently looking into VRT's myself to get more out of them.

My disco TD5 has been a good bus so far, a few niggles but nothing major. Low 20's for MPG but it's an auto on mud tyres so it's not going to be the best. Proper comfy and easy to drive. Tows extremely well and fits my massive dog in.

Thought I would hare this one with you all.

Although it's not finished I am going to start using this one for a bit whilst I get some jobs done on the hicap.

I still need to get the body built and get it resprayed as yet, I have decided to go for a flat bed with lockers built into the outside edge of the floor as we only use a 4 foot wide strip in the middle for pallets to sit on, we will be able to store slings, ratchets and such like in them.

It's been a lot of work, with everything being rebuilt/reconditioned, sandblasted and repainted but I am pleased with it.

scraggs-albums-bike-picture6800-landy.jpg

Edited by scraggs

Although it's not finished I am going to start using this one for a bit whilst I get some jobs done on the hicap.

I still need to get the body built and get it resprayed as yet, I have decided to go for a flat bed with lockers built into the outside edge of the floor as we only use a 4 foot wide strip in the middle for pallets to sit on, we will be able to store slings, ratchets and such like in them.

It's been a lot of work, with everything being rebuilt/reconditioned, sandblasted and repainted but I am pleased with it.

HI SCRAGGS nice job there mate well done mate jon :thumbup:

Galv chassis. Nice!

Paint it black so the ne'er do wells don't see it and nick it.

I do like that trailer too.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App