Top Handled Saw: Stihl vs Echo vs Husq vs Other?

TimberCutterDartmoor

well ive been running the new 338 along side a new ms200 now for about 6 months both saws have there flaws in robustness but any one saying the husky is less powerfull has not used the 08 model and there opinion will all most definietly be based on the 335 which was a pile of junk that needed some serious improvments to evan put it on a level field with the 200T,husky seem to have done this but niether saw is perfect....

pros for the 338

Finally as much power as the 200t.

Anti vibration is awsome

Tear drop desighns pulls through branches nicely

Quiter saw

Against the 338

Plastics for the exhaust and spark cover easily break.

Smaller fuel tank than the 200t

Air filter clogs quicker

Pros for the 200T

I have enough spares in the shead to fix one if it breaks.

carries more fuel than the 338

stronger bar.

Against the 200T

shocking anti vibes ,very clearly noticable between the two saws

flimsy chainbreak handle

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in need of a new top handled saw having only ever had MS200Ts. Is this stihl the only option or are there alternatives? I've heard the Echo CS-350TES is the next best thing...

have had a couple of top handles some on demmo.

in my oppion dont touch a saw if its not orange (stihl or husky all the way)

anythingh else is just not made to last, dont think about the price think about how long you want to keep it.

i chop my top handle stihls in every 2 years flog on ebay get £200 then stick in a little cash and you have a new one.

new saws every 2 years.

i wonder what you would get for a 2year old echo ? i bet not as much as a 200t

I am in need of a new top handled saw having only ever had MS200Ts. Is this stihl the only option or are there alternatives? I've heard the Echo CS-350TES is the next best thing...

c'mon john u dont climb........save your money and get me in! Stihl always, makita for the limper wrist

c'mon john u dont climb........save your money and get me in! Stihl always, makita for the limper wrist

Guess what?! I wanted it for all the times my sub climbers have turned up with knackered bars / chains / other. Far rather have a machine in perfect readiness than waiting around for expensive and embarrasing mistakes...

Guess what?! I wanted it for all the times my sub climbers have turned up with knackered bars / chains / other. Far rather have a machine in perfect readiness than waiting around for expensive and embarrasing mistakes...

Further proof you don't need anew saw...you need a better class of subbie m8!:001_cool:

whatever you do avoid the makitas, they are cheaply made and the 2 we had at work were crap and fell to bits. i have been told that echos are good saws but they are also quite flimsy, but they are OK if it is just you using it and make sure it is well looked after. i have no experience with husky top handles, but have heard that they have a lot of carb problems. i have got a stihl 200t and it has never let me down and it will take the knocks etc that a cheaper saw wouldnt.

have had a couple of top handles some on demmo.

in my oppion dont touch a saw if its not orange (stihl or husky all the way)

anythingh else is just not made to last, dont think about the price think about how long you want to keep it.

i chop my top handle stihls in every 2 years flog on ebay get £200 then stick in a little cash and you have a new one.

new saws every 2 years.

i wonder what you would get for a 2year old echo ? i bet not as much as a 200t

Hi I'm new here!

When you sell a Top Handled Saw on E Bay, do you ask for his Certificate?

Stihl all the way for me. I used a husky top handle a while back and quite liked using it, thought it was a good little saw. But i did only use it once so not sure what it would be like on a day to day basis.

Love the stihl tho u always no where you stand with it. Nice sharp chain, can cut anything full bar length, always starts with no fuss and simple on off switch. Job done :001_cool:

stihl all the way here too! Seems most of us in cornwall -where there aren't any trees allegedly ha ha ha- use 020 or 200t's. I have turned to just stihl for all my saws now- 024, ms200t( not sure if quite as good as 020t) ms361- awesome- and 088, the final word in saws in my opinion, not pleasant when a long way up- heavy! Used to have 262xp husky. Hated it, broke it- oops, and the husky top handled saws seem a bit flimsy? Only my opinion, and there are others with much more knowledge than me!!