Where does the money go?

Dave123

but Dave, do we know the percentage of the overall workforce from either industry? The construction industry is far far larger than the tree surgery industry, with many more in it's employ, so percentage wise it may be as safe or safer than tree surgery, or indeed more dangerous. Stats have a habit of not really proving anything, unless all the details are there.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently it is safer than other trades Around a building site.

Statistics - Construction industry

No where near the amount of injury general building workers experience.

Are you a ... tree surgeon?

Fatalities are quite high, you can see. 26 fatalities over 9 years doesn't make it a highly dangerous job, statistically.

Statistics - Fatal injury statistics for 2011/12

To cut it short, in 12 years 948 people have been killed in the construction industry, and in 9 years 26 tree surgeon have been killed.

Interesting.

Construction is a much bigger industry involving a lot more people which probably explains the higher number of injuries overall... Cant really make a direct comparison without looking at how many people work in either industry.

Well you can work it out at ratio. If the ratio was 36 to 1 then your fatality rate would be equal.

It just depends if you think there are 36 builders to every tree surgeon. Also these figures are not including forestry workers which I'd expect would pump the up a little.

Not that it matters either way, it is what it is, but from these figures it would definitely show tree surgeons to be generally more intelligent that the average construction worker, as if the job is so much more dangerous, then you do manage to keep fatalities very very low. I'd imagine more postmen have been knocked down and killed over the last 9 years than tree surgeons have been killed, at 26.

Fishing

Agricultural/farming

Then construction

Then lorry driver funnily enough are what is keep coming up with.

Tree surgeons don't seem to have a place really, you're a bit inbetweeners, but safe inbetweeners so it seems, good job.

Last stats I saw had climbing arborists as 4th in the death league.

Astronauts, deep sea fishermen and Amy Winehouse's boyfriends were top.

Mark,just the man for a little survey I'm interested in doing,trouble is I dont get up the pub much nowadays,(its an age thing with me),as a typical well rounded tree surgeon,& frequent pub resident,could you run it by a group of typical builder types out for after work refreshment,that statisticaly,even though we are in possibly a more dangerous job than said builders,we suffer less accidents as we tend to be less thick than they are, & ask what their thoughts are about that.

If you want you could get your groundy to ask & just stand back & note the response!:laugh1:

Mark,just the man for a little survey I'm interested in doing,trouble is I dont get up the pub much nowadays,(its an age thing with me),as a typical well rounded tree surgeon,& frequent pub resident,could you run it by a group of typical builder types out for after work refreshment,that statisticaly,even though we are in possibly a more dangerous job than said builders,we suffer less accidents as we tend to be less thick than they are, & ask what their thoughts are about that.

If you want you could get your groundy to ask & just stand back & note the response!:laugh1:

:lol:

Apparently it is safer than other trades Around a building site.

No where near the amount of injury general building workers experience.

Are you a ... tree surgeon?

These HSE statistics are a bit skewed, for the HSE anyone that takes a saw to a tree is a tree surgeon regardless of training and qualification.

When I was a bit more involved in that end of our industry I took this up it's the HSE's appointed representative.

A look into the stats revealed that a lot of the accidents were landscapers or odd jobbers who got out of their depth.

They freely admitted it was a bad statistic and that there was nothing they could do about it.

Comparing statistics between the leviathan that is the building industry and a teeny tiny industry like arboriculture and forestry is also going to give you a skewed perspective.

Suffice to say that when it goes wrong in tree work it often goes wrong in a big way.

These HSE statistics are a bit skewed, for the HSE anyone that takes a saw to a tree is a tree surgeon regardless of training and qualification.

When I was a bit more involved in that end of our industry I took this up it's the HSE's appointed representative.

A look into the stats revealed that a lot of the accidents were landscapers or odd jobbers who got out of their depth.

They freely admitted it was a bad statistic and that there was nothing they could do about it.

Comparing statistics between the leviathan that is the building industry and a teeny tiny industry like arboriculture and forestry is also going to give you a skewed perspective.

Suffice to say that when it goes wrong in tree work it often goes wrong in a big way.

This sounds a fair explanation to me.:001_smile: