Topping tall Poplars

Hill-Billy

Hi guys. I know how controversial topping is but what are the real dangers of reducing 50ft poplars by about a third? I've heard they're prone to barberchairing. I've been asked to top 5 tall poplars in France. How likely is this scenario? What is the best way to prevent this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thats about 1 1/2 hours from me.

How high is the surrounding area. What height would give privacy to the pool?

Any big top off can result in a possible head topping in response to such a harsh relief of pressure if you have acute angles to throw into the mix.

Treat what ever you have to top with respect if you are at height as you don't have much room to run off. (eggs & suck) sorry lol..

Apart from that I would not comment as not seen the trees & associated problems that may rear their heads on semi mature trees of this spp.

I find that generally the same rules that apply to ground felling are roughly the same up in the tree. If you have reservations as to a technique & its response to what you are applying it to then go smaller & learn from comfortable less life changing mistakes.

Start from the ground then work up if that has to be the way.

Poplar regrowth can be reasonably " rippy " side cut lightly , just bark , watch the old cut points but the regrowth is actually pretty strong . When assesing a tree to be climbed think of the last extreme wheather , that tree has undergone ( doesnt work so well with storm damage ) but eh .

• 9 years later...

Old thread but current project.

Regenerative pruning of 64 Lombardy poplars at a manor house North Rennes.

There were many more though butt decay has caused losses and damage to property.

The tallest unbroken line of 10 are 30m+ measured with climbers rope and a tape for the felled tops.

Stripped to bare poles, they should very quickly develop a vigorous, uniform growth thus keeping the character of the manors main entrance route whilst being less of a threat to neighbouring properties and lines.

I've been working in this park since 2011 and will be monitoring the regrowth annually.

The client well is aware of the pros and cons of this work and prefers to retain rather than remove.

Stuart

IMG_20211012_143935.jpg

• Like 3

Have you got any lorry based grapple saws in your area? That would have been an ideal job for one, snipping the limbs and tops off working up the drive and dangling a climber cleaning up stubs on the way back.

• Like 1

Nothing of the kind available in our area.

The work isn't too onerous and is well paid.

Besides, I have a well found fear of losing clients to indiscreet sub contractors.

Prefer to keep work in house rather than let too many share a slice of my pie only for them to steal any future pies...

Stuart

• Like 2