Tennis Elbow

Mark Bolam

Tennis Elbow - story of my life! Extreme wrist movements exacerbate it so get some sheik a/v gloves for their mega wrist support.

Next:

1) Get an Infra-red lamp - totally amazing and totally undiscovered / under-rated despite having been around for years.

2) Massage with Arnica cream - nurse wife so I'm v lucky.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

although he couldnt feel the pain, he was also still doing damage.

That's the biggest issue with cortizone injections, but repeated used (more than about 3 per year) can lead to the tendons being thinned and snapping! I know a guy that used it to keep playing rugby, now having repeated knee surgery to sort out snapped tendons.

Go for the physio, support band and recovery exercises to help prevent it coming back. Best thing I did to get rid of mine is swap away from using a blakes hitch, using both arms on a Vt and pulley:001_cool:

I'm going through a tough bout of it too. Right elbow, since September.

It is easing, and its not the end of climbing etc. Just be careful. Excercise is all good, even if it hurts.

PL106-lge.jpg

Theses straps are really good, they are from proline sports on the web, very fast delivery time.

http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/Elbow_Tennis_Elbow_Strap.html

Also, cold spray stuff is good, ibuprofen will help (don't buy the expensive nurofen its the same stuff)

It will get better, but might come back again and again.

thats the one i have got, but i prefer blue.:001_tongue:

I suffered for about 2 or 3 years as well, I had a neoprene support which helped a lot, mainly due to keeping it warm I think. Find out for sure whether you should apply heat or cold to the area because you could end up doing more damage if you get it wrong. Obviously as has already been said do take care with your top handle saw and if you have to use a blower use two hands. Rest, rest and more rest, pain is your body telling you something. Heal thyself, think strong, be strong.

his may help mate

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/tennis_elbow.html

if you understand what you have you can start to repair it, try and get the doctor to get you an mri scan to id the extent of the damage, apply ice if its swollen then keep it warm to get the blood through it so as the healing can begin.

but rest it from heavy work but keep it active to encourage blood flow.

Go for the physio, support band and recovery exercises to help prevent it coming back. Best thing I did to get rid of mine is swap away from using a blakes hitch, using both arms on a Vt and pulley:001_cool:

Good advice,,, I had Tendonitis really bad huge discomfort even through the night, i'd wake up with pins and needles and a dead arm every morning.

Enough was enough, i saw the doctor he told me to take 6 weeks off or change jobs, I am self employed and love my job so no chance.

Instead i looked at the way i worked, i had been doing lots of hedge cutting (major cause of havs (hand arm vibration syndrome)) so i stopped that, using a prussik loop was putting huge pressure on my arm especially when body thrusting, so i stopped body thrusting to asscend, changed my knot to a tended hitch that allowed me to pull with both arms and hold my weight with the left keeping my arm locked straight in a more comfortable position. Stopped using the top handle saw one handed so much etc etc

Basically anything you can do to balance the work load between both arms, even things like feeding the chipper with your left arm, using the silky with your left hand, alternating your grip on the groundsaw i can now use a groundsaw with either my left or right easily and accuratly, little things like when using a groundsaw low to the ground support its weight by resting your forearm on your leg (without pics this is probably hard to understand)

All these little things over the course of your long career will cut down the stresses you put on your body.

I also went for physio I choose a Chineese threapist near me who suggested massage, heat treament and accupuncture basically this helps to stimulate the blood flow to help the body heal naturally over 6 weeks twice a weeek at £15 per half hour treatment, seemed to work for me.

Haven'thad a major problem with tendonitis for 2 years now, i still get a little pain as i've damaged the sheath my tendon/nerve runs through, this will never heal without surgery but the pain is bearable and i am not handicapped in any way so why bother with the surgery.

I hope you find a solution to your problems.

Instead i looked at the way i worked, i had been doing lots of hedge cutting (major cause of havs (hand arm vibration syndrome)) so i stopped that, using a prussik loop was putting huge pressure on my arm especially when body thrusting, so i stopped body thrusting to asscend, changed my knot to a tended hitch that allowed me to pull with both arms and hold my weight with the left keeping my arm locked straight in a more comfortable position. Stopped using the top handle saw one handed so much etc etc

Basically anything you can do to balance the work load between both arms, even things like feeding the chipper with your left arm, using the silky with your left hand, alternating your grip on the groundsaw i can now use a groundsaw with either my left or right easily and accuratly, little things like when using a groundsaw low to the ground support its weight by resting your forearm on your leg (without pics this is probably hard to understand)

All these little things over the course of your long career will cut down the stresses you put on your body.

Ditto, I changed the way I climb, tried to make a conscious effort to not use a top hander with one hand. and went to the physio and she gave me a bundle of exercises to strengthen the muscles and to further stabilise the joint. Not had a problem for quite a while now.