Petty Complaints

David Humphries

In amongst about a weeks worth of Tree Works, we had this Ash to reduce back to the previous "pollard" (sic) points.

Half the tree is above various targets in the primary garden, whilst the other half is overhanging two neighbouring gardens.

I know this precious and pretencious area intimately enough, to realise that early morning and excessive Chainsaw use combined with "colateral" damage and debris ending up on the wrong side of the tracks, is going to be far more trouble than it's worth.

With the above in mind, we rigged absolutely everything down.

The attached photo of the neighbours garden was taken immediately on completion of the job.

I just knew the following e-mail was going to turn up :mad1:

David,

We have had a telephone complaint today about tree work being undertaken at Keats House this week.

Mrs ***** of ***** ****** Road alleges that she has suffered from:

1. Sawdust all over her conservatory and garden

2. A handsaw dropped over the fence into her garden, which was returned by her but was received with no apology or thank you

3. A bough falling into her pond which she had to retrieve.

Please could you let me know your comments on this, if it was our staff involved or a contractor, when it happened.

She is now demanding that the you clear up her garden for her - is this something which you feel your team can/should do?

As you know we try to keep on good terms with the neighbours and I would be grateful if we could minimise future problems as well as tidy up any existing debris.

The level of saw dust " suffered" can be seen in the last picture.

The hand saw (in Scabbard) was returned, not over the fence but around the block at the Womans front door and only when it was signed for with a second offered appology.

The bough that had to be retreived, can be seen in the picture of the pond.

(you may need to zoom the image, some)

This peed me right off, I can tell ya.

Ofcourse Tree work is a highly emotive issue, but this person has gone totaly out of her way to try to discredit my teams well thought of and locally respected image and reputation...........and for what exactly, some noise and a handfull of saw dust.

Ftr.........not after any points on the reduc, as it is off my site and to another LA TO's spec.

Appologies for the mini rant, needed to get it orf me chest.

Ahhhhhhh, that's much better. :001_smile:

PC090018.jpg.bcf7d4e9e1da916b1e320c2f5805ca39.jpg

PC090014.jpg.fbc3a69f3e0513a47f8bd6051ee9696d.jpg

DSC02209.jpg.4ae7f7e8d305c4f14ecee5cb4c1e1135.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Know exactly how you feel; I often work in Noss Mayo, Plymouth area (happy to name and shame the place!), wooded valley full of holiday homes and an ageing population of the rudest people ever. I get the binoculars through the windows, "who are you and what are you doing and why", "are you allowed to do this", "do you have a manager I can telephone since you're a manual labourer and won't understand an intelligent conversation" treatment in this flippin place the whole time. I don't bother telling them I have a PhD as they explain that their magnolia is leaning since I drove past it this morning. They have nothing better to do. Why is it these people choose to spend their retirements being negative rather than positive? Aaaarrgh! Not assuming your petty complainer was retired but you know... No win situation, your client doesn't want to tell the neighbour to drop the strop, you rightly don't want to waste time and money on your hands and knees picking up 72.8 little flakes of wood and lifting that oh so huge "bough" (aka twig) out of the pond. Funny how folks imagined their patch as spotless as a palace BEFORE you turned up but the reality is that it's often more swept and tidy afterwards as your post op cleanup inevitably picks up some of the crap on the floor that was there in the first place. Soul destroying.

You mean you were working in a built-up area without a bow saw and a hoover sucking the dust off the blade?! And I trust there were no yobbish warning shouts; all to be whispered please. Tut...:001_tongue:

Move on my friend; tomorrow you will turn up to a real customer, i.e. one who has the kettle on when you arrive and is genuinely grateful for your efforts at the end of the day. Then today will be a mere memory.

David, don't you wish sometimes you can just tell them exactly what you are thinking to their face. :001_smile:

QUOTE]

If only Dean, if only.................. :sneaky2:

Having worked in this particular urban minefield for the best part of 25 yrs, I have now developed the diplomatic skills more akin to a

Politician than an Arborist.

They should send me in to the middle east, have it sorted in a jiffy :001_smile:

People need to learn the difference between a bough a branch and a twig, and as for a bit of saw dust it is bio degradable a bit of wind rain and frosts and it will be gone. dont take it to heart david some people are born moaners and not being sexist but most of them are female.:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile: