Pricing Too High???

DJP Arb

Hi guys just wanted to run this past you as I must say I was a bit disheartened this morning after finding out another firm undercut me by £200!

I put a price in for £850 for the following work which I personally feel was too cheap anyway but thought in this market I should go in with a competitive price.

Job is as follows:

Hornbeam approx 60ft in height - Has been reduced before but has come back very strong would imagine about 6 - 7 years ago. Price to do an over all crown reduction plus some thinning to get more light into the clients garden. Tiny garden with hardly any access, at the base of the tree there is lots of trellis with an small openeing to get in an out of a patio area with a stream running behind. Also under the Hornbeam is a shed so everything needs to be lowered (no room to swing a cat) then to get it out the garden you have to go up an tiny set of steps about 30cm wide an then through a narrow gate to get to the front where we could chip.

In the garden next door there is a nice oak great shape but is far to big for the garden approx 70ft in height which after about 3pm stops any light from entering the clients garden. They were also going to pay for a reduction an thin of the oak. This is much simpler as apart from the stream behind it there is nothing in the way can just straight drop and a clear exit to the front of the house?

Over all I estimated the job to be about 3 days work??

I myself think £850 was a very fair price! What do you guys feel????

I cant see how someone can price it at £650??? :confused1:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the others do it for 650 and don't let it get to you, sounds like a 'fun' job anyway!

There will be other jobs where you are cheaper than other competition, Tis all swings and roundabouts, but just concentrate on the jobs you do get :biggrin:

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Presumably they feel they can do it faster; obviously no one will be able to give you a definitive answer as you are the man who looked at the job, but if you had two more groundsmen could you have done it in two days or even one? Most trees (unless they are mega!) can be reduced in no more than 3/4 hours, so If the climber had nothing to do but climb, maybe it could be done.

Let the others do it for 650 and don't let it get to you, sounds like a 'fun' job anyway!

There will be other jobs where you are cheaper than other competition, Tis all swings and roundabouts, but just concentrate on the jobs you do get :biggrin:

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Yeah i thought it was going to be a nice job but if the other guys wana do it for £650 then its up to them? still think £850 was a fair price though

Yeah i thought it was going to be a nice job but if the other guys wana do it for £650 then its up to them? still think £850 was a fair price though

I realise you didn't get the job but £850, two men for three days is way too cheap.

The guy that got the job must be double desperate or a cowboy or a gypo because if he's a legit professional, those prices don't pay the bills.

As others have said, concentrate on the jobs you do get.