What weighs less?

Old Mill Tree Care

Axle weights is definitely the main factor, I'm not gona say what it weighed in at the other day but it was scary!!!

The other factor is tool storage. I've got one on lease that does grounds maintenance contracts and the guy has built shelving etc in the back of it. Had a problem with the door lock and the whole lot had to come out..... Much better to have purpose built locker and keep all the fuel and oil smells out the cab.

Unless you need to carry people I really don't rate them.

R

Well you don't know that he's not bothered about axle weights. He seems concerned about weight. At about a pound a kilo for overloading and possibly a GV9, I know I am.

I would like to think that armed with that information the double cab as a toolbox idea losses some of it's attraction.

It's easy enough to run overloaded without buying a vehicle that invites overloading. Crew cabs are great for moving crew, not so good as a tool locker.

Which is why I opted for a tool box on mine and passed on the information about weights, 100 kgs less for a tool box is a good step in the right direction .

What weighs less?

A Single cab Transit with tool box/chip box combo.

Or:

A crewcab Transit with back seats out and a chip box.

I cannot directly make the comparison but a 7 plate 350 rwd transit crewcab chassis has a maximum payload of 1652kg, with a very lightweight body and 3/4 tank of fuel it weighed 2100kg. A substantial toolbox is about 75kg.

There's not too much to worry about the back axle as it can carry 1829kg including the body. Front MAM is 1750 rear 2450kg

There is far less latitude with single wheel FWD as the sum of the axle weights is 3500.

IIRC the crewcab with seats weighs 150kg more than the same LWB single cab.

The brochure including weights is available on the ford website, I don't have a copy at home but can check if you want more info.