a proper chopper Job,

MOG

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few times when its good to leave a stub as a step or rigging point, but in general most stubs are left as a matter of poor work habits. His cutting technique looked questionable (as mentioned) looked like bad body positioning, and the cut at the top of that big bit looked "funny", though hard to say for sure with the picture clarity so poor.

As with most accidents it was a combination of mistakes that culminated in the injury.. Leaving the stub, not checking the line prior to cutting, poor body positioning and maybe others too.. perhaps if he had a dedicated groundie, that man would have seen the line snagged, in time to prevent it.

Very valid point Daniel. My (very good) groundie is eyes-on on the stuff that matters, and has saved me problems a few times.

Not having a go at the guys on the vid, I just think it was one of those things.

I actually learn a lot from watching my videos.. slow motion helps.. Youtube is a great tool for moving this industry forward.. I didn't mean to sound harsh or ugly.. the mistakes he made were something even a good and experienced climber could make, just by a small lapse in attention... We all feel for him.. so no disrespect intended... a thorough criticism of the video is the best way to learn from it.. whoever put it up on youtube no doubt intended for it to be an aid to the rest of us.

he put the video up himself whilst lying up at home, it takes some balls to post something like that and not just an edited perfect video. Pretty sure shaun has got some more chopper vids to chuck on the tube soon.

hey, so yeah i dont know much what exactly happened. looks to me like his rope got caught on top of the log. and that dragged him down, guessing his hitch slid with it. i think we can all learn alot from this.

good on him for sharing it, and to show that its not due to inexperience but accidents happen and do. as its all well had good to point out bits and bobs that we all do wrong. its human nature, how many close calls have you had......

climb safe guys/girls and hope you all learn something from this. thanks again shaun and hes to fast recovery and getting back into the trees.

mog

Should be mentioned that the boys go through 6 monthly first aid training and I'd imagine that they had the site and the man sorted quick sharp. There's a few of us on here that work alone quite a bit too and this is a bit of a wake up call to just be a bit more careful about what we're doing. I know I sometimes get a bit blase about things. And I also thing he has balls for putting the vid up when something went so badly wrong. This could have been very much worse and at first I thought the stem had landed on top of him which could have been really ugly.