Terms and conditions - pay rates in particular

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy, you should as a rule be looking at a minimum of £70 a day as a CS30/31 operator.

Even a labourer with no tickets that is self employed should be on more than £50.

However, I would say age, experience and skill also have to be taken into account.

If you are self employed you will be paying your own national insurance and income tax, £50 a day simply isn't enough.

Especially considering the cost of saws, kit, PPE, training and so on.

How are you set for insurance? I hope you're not having to pay that as well.

Sorry to drag this up again, but i'm thinking of asking for a bit of a rise and not found a matching case. I work 3 or 4 days a week for a 1 man business i am self employed, no sick pay etc. I supply all my own PPE and a ground saw, which is kepty sharp and ready to work...so is usually the best saw we have bar the rarely used big un's.

I can rope branhces down keep ropes clear lift and drag alot, am polite and all the rest...I'd say i'm fairly efficient. I Also have CS30&31 funded by me. I get to do the odd climb if we finish early and get taught a bit which is good, but I only get £50 a day at the moment which i am starting to feel this isn't really enough. What do you guys reckon? its in Kent/Sussex so customers aren't short of money either :P

we pay a guy 50 quid a day just to drag brash out for us, hes a really good worker and thats about the going rate round here, billy i think your worth more than that, are there no other companys in your area you could try, working 3 or 4 days a week thats only 150 to 200 a week. all the best

I am 21, I was using saws for 2-3 years before doing my CS30 and 31 so have a fair amount of experience. I am a massive beleiver in skill over 'qualifications' when it comes to practical work, but they're a necessary evil. I operate 360 excavators from time to time and am pretty good on them and get paid twice what i am at the moment for that, but construction is pretty dead at the moment.

Glad a few have said about £70 a day seems fair under the circumstances, as i was thinking that but thought i may have been being a bit too generous. Think i was taken on to drag brush and do menial tasks, it seemed to come as abit of a shock that i actually held chainsaw qualifications and that i'm not just another brainless monkey. I know people never take being asked for more money well though, and jobs aren't exactly abundant at the moment.

How much value wuld you guys put on informal training? For climbing in this case, as he always mentons doing a few days teaching me it all so i can start to climb for him, which will be useful but no real offer of paying for the tickets.

I am thinkingthe best way is to explain that i'm doing more than originally anticipated and i need a raise then let him think about it and come back to me?