Be honest now please

predator

To add my 2p worth...

Feel Awkward about this as I use my saws to chop logs for my own use and so consider myself a hobbyist compared to the hardcore arborists here.

I always work on my own.

I find others a distraction and an additional risk due to their unpredictable movements. Having a laugh is great but I find best done after the work is finished , or during a break. Not during as concentration wanders...accidents happen.

BUT I work in the Railway environment and so am always working as part of a Team ( minimum 2) and find the PPE chat interesting. My job can be a bit PPE obsessed. Let alone rules/regs.

PPE is good. It is NO safety net. Your safety net is following procedure and not taking excessive or unessesariry risks. Everything must be mitigated or don't do it!

Hence when on my own working, my wife knows where I am and I ALWAYS have a phone or method of summoning help. Then a first aid kit, thermal (foil) blankets in the truck etc...

No offence intended. These are my views / experience in my 30 odd years of work.

Bob

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have lone workers although its switched around so its not just the same person doing it. Sometimes it's good to work alone. Makes the craic better when working as a two.

I can't remember the last time a lone worker did any chainsaw work though

Probably me about 25 years ago

I used to work alone all the time, climbing felling, extracting. I have climbed with a 46 tied to the bottom of my rope to swap over to save coming down, I loved working on my own, bu after hurting my hand at Chrimbo and spending 5 days in hospital , 3 operations I vowed I wouldn't work a saw alone again, not for me, but for my wife and kids.

Don't run the saws much on my own, its allways nice to have an extra pair of eyes watching and someone elses (different) input and ideas. Plus, with 2 people its only half the work dragging stuff about.

thanks i,am very supprised by how many work alone as i,am only a weekender logburner bloke myself but very very concerned about using a chainsaw on my own incase things go very wrong for me

or is it me worrie worrie worrie etc i have a phone but no first aid kit so this post has been very rewarding/helpful thanks

thanks i,am very supprised by how many work alone as i,am only a weekender logburner bloke myself but very very concerned about using a chainsaw on my own incase things go very wrong for me

or is it me worrie worrie worrie etc i have a phone but no first aid kit so this post has been very rewarding/helpful thanks

I'd say if you are apprehensive about using a chainsaw alone then don't, my confidence became rooted from doing tree surgery work in Australia, we would climb and cut with chainsaws in shorts:thumbdown: it was so hot, I have over the years cut my self with cainsaws, mainly through rushing jobs, so for those of you who wonder what the pain is like this is how i would discribe it- (is this a first for Arbtalk?) The cut-first is observation-lots of red! followed by a tight burning pain/sensation on the wound, Panic- the first time you do it, then after that, if you ever cut your self again it tends to be more of a "ohh bugger" moment, other sensations- wetness (blood) .for me the worst part/pain of a cut is the recovery, for weeks as the injury scabs over there will be times when you forget, at this point when you stretch the skin the pain quickly reminds you of the injury, as the scab cracks thats the worst pain, you tend to say"ohh deer that hurts" or some words like effect:lol: